Last month, Sony announced a list of devices eligible for Android Nougat. Xperia Z3, which was launched in late 2014, is not getting the new update and will have to stay put with Marshmallow.
That said, those of you, who are still hanging on to the Sony's former flagship smartphone can still experience all the good features of Nougat, thanks to the custom ROM developer, who goes by the moniker, aclegg2011dl.
The firmware is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) with no bloat-wares. This means, Xperia Z3 owners will be able use their device like Nexus series phones with no messy Xperia-themed UI seen in Sony devices.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the custom ROM):
- This new Android Nougat AOSP ROM has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z3 model; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation. [Read More: How to Unlock Bootloader on Xperia Devices â€“ Official Sony Video Tutorial]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Xperia Z3) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes, India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation guide of Android Nougat AOSP ROM on Sony Xperia Z3:
Step 1: Download Android 7.0 Nougat AOSP custom ROM in to your PC.
[Scroll to find the downloadable files]
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia Z3 to the computer
Step 3: Place the Android Nougat AOSP ROM into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select â€“ 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after a few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation.
Android Nougat AOSP ROM for Sony Xperia Z3: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver: HERE
[Credits: Team Android]