Londoners face transport chaos at the start of the working week after two unions on the Underground stage a 24-hour strike. The action follows weeks of strikes by Southern Rail, as well as price hikes on rail fares. Normal service on the Tube is expected to resume on 10 January.
Jan 9, 2017
Jallikattu controversy: Tamil Nadu CM Panneerselvam writes to PM Modi to allow banned 'sport' before Pongal
Queen Elizabeth II health update: Britain's Monarch makes first public appearance after two weeks of acute cold
Hundreds of thousands of barefoot devotees joined a procession in Manila on 9 January, to honour a centuries-old black statue of Jesus Christ. The Black Nazarene, a 17th century icon carved in Mexico, is believed to have healing powers and can grant miracles. The procession has been celebrated for more than 200 years in the Philippiness capital, where around 80 per cent of the population is Roman Catholic.
Jan 9, 2017
- Rafael Nadal has played through constant pain since 2005, says Toni Nadal
- Manchester City didn't want to face Liverpool in Champions League quarters: Klopp
- Mohammed Shami wants Hasin Jahan's allegations to be probed
- Hasin Jahan's domestic violence allegations unlikely to affect Mohammed Shami's India career
- Air conditioner mechanic posing as doctor arrested after student dies in ambulance
- Man kills self, asks parents to get wife married to her lover
- Student kills himself while on WhatsApp video call with girlfriend
- Woman swims naked in ice-cold water to look younger
- Woman's head chopped off with sword because she went out to work