Hours after the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared that the Ebola outbreak was over in Liberia and West Africa, a death on Thursday, 14 January, in Sierra Leone was confirmed to be caused by the deadly virus.
Ebola had claimed 11,000 people in the West African countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. The two-year-long epidemic had also led to global alerts as well as travel restrictions.
"Complete findings will be made known to the public by tomorrow [Friday]," an offical told AFP, adding that further tests were under way.
The deceased, a female student, had expired in Bamoi Luma â€” a village bordering Guinea. A swab test taken by health officials after she died confirmed she had contracted Ebola.
Maximum deaths were recorded in Liberia, followed by Sierra Leone and Guinea.
With Thursday's announcement, WHO had also warned "small flare-ups" are possible and the job is not done as a strain of the virus persists in survivors.
By declaring the Ebola outbreak over, the officials said active transmission of the disease was over. However, Ebola has been declared over twice before in Liberia before it returned.
The disease had not only wrecked the health of citizens of the three countries but also the economies.
Survival rate, according to WHO, for someone with Ebola is 50%, but it differs depending on medical attention received. In West Africa, the survival rate had been pegged at anything between 25% and 90%.
The latest survival rate in Libera stood at 40%, Sierra Leone's at 65% and around 50% for Guinea.
The world is still not adequately prepared for another outbreak, warned Rick Brennan, the WHO's chief of emergency risk management.