Science & Health
A giant iceberg could break away from an ice shelf in Antarctica. An area more than three times the size of London is now only connected to the Larsen C ice shelf by 12 miles of ice. The soon-to-be iceberg makes up 10% of the ice shelf. When the 1,900 square mile area breaks away, Larsen C will be at its most retreated position ever. Sea levels could rise by up to 10cm if Larsen C disintegrates completely.
Jan 8, 2017
Mosquito birth control: Scientists find new way to sterilise mosquitoes in push to prevent Zika, dengue
Stephen Hawking is turning 75 on 8 January. In 1959, he began studying physics at University College, Oxford, aged 17.Hawking was diagnosed with ALS at the age of 21. He was married to Jane Hawking for 25 years, before splitting in 1995. After the divorce, he married his nurse, Elaine Mason, until they divorced in 2006.Hawking has 12 honorary degrees. His 1998 book A Brief History of Time has sold 10 million copies.
Jan 8, 2017
Antibiotic resistance: How to make sure that you aren't at risk of losing ability to kill bacterial growth
Alcoholism treatment: Australian researchers impressed by Canada's controversial alcohol management programs
- 'Loch Ness-type' sea creature found dead and decomposing on beach [Video]
- Watch: Deep-sea anglerfish caught mating in first ever video
- Dravidian language family is about 4,500 years old, finds new study
- 2 billion-year old salt reveals how ancient Earth evolved life-sustaining oxygen
- Sea level warning: France-sized Antarctic glacier found moving into ocean fast