Science & Health
A 12-second time-lapse footage shows the moment when the smog engulfs the city of Beijing in the latest bout of air pollution. Pollution alerts are common in northern China, especially during bitterly cold winters when energy demand, much of it met by coal, soars.
Jan 9, 2017
A giant iceberg could break away from an ice shelf in Antarctica. An area more than three times the size of London is now only connected to the Larsen C ice shelf by 12 miles of ice. The soon-to-be iceberg makes up 10% of the ice shelf. When the 1,900 square mile area breaks away, Larsen C will be at its most retreated position ever. Sea levels could rise by up to 10cm if Larsen C disintegrates completely.
Jan 8, 2017
Mosquito birth control: Scientists find new way to sterilise mosquitoes in push to prevent Zika, dengue
Stephen Hawking is turning 75 on 8 January. In 1959, he began studying physics at University College, Oxford, aged 17.Hawking was diagnosed with ALS at the age of 21. He was married to Jane Hawking for 25 years, before splitting in 1995. After the divorce, he married his nurse, Elaine Mason, until they divorced in 2006.Hawking has 12 honorary degrees. His 1998 book A Brief History of Time has sold 10 million copies.
Jan 8, 2017
- NASA's Dawn mission finds Ceres geologically active, more than previously thought
- Dravidian language family is about 4,500 years old, finds new study
- Mysterious new purple aurora named Steve by scientists
- Stephen Hawking's last paper to demonstrate test for existence of parallel universes
- Woman hasn't urinated naturally in two years due to a rare condition