A new SpaceRocket series custom ROM has been made available to Samsung's 2014 flagship smartphone, Galaxy S5.
The SpaceRocket firmware is created by a senior XDA Developer Forum member, Samkitpalecha. It is based on the latest AOSP (Android Opens source Project) 5.1.1 Lollipop OS and comes with new personalisation options and also features of Galaxy S6, such as:
- Stock Galaxy S6 Keyboard
- S6 Weather widgets
- S6 music player
- S6 TouchWiz Launcher
- S6 Wallpapers and chooser options
- S6 S Voice with Wake up option (similar to OK Google voice-command functionality)
- Deodexed and debloated
- Init.d support
- Supersuper (inbuilt)
- Abstract Tiles features
- Performance tweaks and tons of other customisation options have been incorporated in to the ROM to enhance user-experience on Galaxy S6.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- The SpaceRocket Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM firmware has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F and SM-G900H) models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it renders the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC or else your phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
SpaceRocket Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM Download Links:
For Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F): Download HERE
For Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900H): Download HERE
Google Apps: Download HERE
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of SpaceRocket Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S5 models-
Step 1: Connect Samsung Galaxy S5 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 2: Place Android v5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 3: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Once again reboot to Recovery mode and then flash Google Apps .zip file [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S5) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of SpaceRocket Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.