Prolific XDA Developer Forum member DeVorteX has reportedly released Android Marshmallow custom ROM to Samsung's 2014 flagship smartphone Galaxy S5.
The new firmware is based on the CyanogenMod CM13 series. In addition to CyanogenMod's exclusive features, it is expected to come with all the goodies found in the Android v6.0 OS such as Doze power saving feature, faster Chrome browser, more intuitive Now on Tap feature, new security feature verified boot system, support for more international dialects and a new contextual assistance feature.
We would like to remind our readers that this new CM13 series firmware developed by DeVorteX is an experimental test build, so there might be some bugs in it. Galaxy S5 owners advised to exercise some caution before going forward with the custom ROM installation.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S5-klte models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver has been installed in the PC or else your smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S5) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
CyanogenMod CM13 Downloadable files:
CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM for Galaxy S5 LTE: HERE
Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S5 (klte) models:
Step 1: After downloading CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM and Google Apps in to the PC, connect Samsung Galaxy S5 to the computer via USB cord
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 2: Then, place Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM zip file into the phone's storage. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
Step 3: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Now, clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 6.0 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Once again reboot to Recovery mode and then flash Google Apps .zip file [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S5) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
The users can then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [unofficial] CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM.