Samsung's 2013 flagship smartphone Galax S4 last received the Android OS Lollipop update in 2015, but the device is no longer eligible to get Marshmallow as it is more than two years old.
Except the Nexus series, the smartphone companies are obliged to provide the firmware support for a minimum of 18 months (or maximum of 24 months).
Samsung fans, who are still hanging to the Galaxy S4, can still be able to upgrade their phones to the new OS through numerous custom ROMs, which are available for free on Internet. Among them, users can install the VRToxin firmware to explore Marshmallow features on their phones.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Android 6.0 Marshmallow VRToxin custom ROM has to be installed on Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition GT-I9515 (jfvelte) international LTE models only, if tried on other devices, it might brick them [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with the custom ROM installation.
- Installation of the custom ROM requires clearing the memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure a USB driver is installed on the PC or else your device (Galaxy S4 Value Edition LTE) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results, or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure for Android 6.0 Marshmallow VRToxin custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition LTE (GT-I9515)-
Step 1: Download Android 6.0 Marshmallow AICP custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition (GT-I9515) to PC via USB cord
Step 3: Then, place Android 6.0 Marshmallow AICP custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by pressing and holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for Google Apps installation [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and restart the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition LTE GT-I9515) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Android 6.0 Marshmallow VRToxin custom ROM.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow VRToxin custom ROM: HERE
MD5Sum link: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver: HERE