Samsung is yet to officially share the details of the Android Marshmallow update release schedule for its devices, but rumours have it that the company would deploy the update first to the Galaxy Note 5 and S6 series next month and later to the Galaxy Note 4 and S5 in January and February, respectively.
While other models such as the Galaxy S5, Alpha, Galaxy A8, A7, A5, Galaxy E7 and E5 series are confirmed to get Android M update, the timeline of the firmware rollout is still under wraps.
Since the rollout process will be in phases, it might take five or six months, if not more, for the aforementioned devices to taste Google's new sugar treat flavoured mobile OS.
However, we have some good news to share with Galaxy A5 owners, who are eager to explore Android Marshmallow now.
TheWhisp, a recognised XDA Developer Forum member, has released the Android Marshmallow OS based CyanogenMod CM13 series firmware for the Samsung Galaxy A5 LTE.
But we would like to inform users that the firmware is an experimental preview version, so there might be some bugs. Readers must exercise caution before going ahead with the installation.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom series has to be installed on Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500FU (a5ultexx) LTE model only. If tried on other devices, they might get bricked [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed on the PC or else your device (Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500FU) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure for CyanogenMod [preview] Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500FU:
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod [preview] Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC.
[Note: Scroll down for download links of custom ROM, Gapps and USB driver software]
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy A5 (SM-A500FU) to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Place CyanogenMod [preview] Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder. Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool].
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Return to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Navigate back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for Google Apps installation [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now your device (Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500FU) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [preview] Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 custom ROM.
CyanogenMod [preview] Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM13 custom ROM: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver (Samsung Kies): HERE
[If faced with any issues, then please leave your feedback, HERE]