After months of testing, popular after-market custom mobile OS maker CyanogenMod has finally rolled out the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow-based CM13 Release 1 to the OnePlus One.
It has to be noted that this CM 13 series version is a stable snapshot, not an experimental nightly version. It has undergone several rounds of testing and there is very less chance of finding bugs in this software.
Its size is around 329MB and it brings Doze power saving feature, new "Now on Tap" search, new international language, performance tweaks and numerous value-added features to enhance user-experience.
Prerequisites [Things to remember before installing Custom ROM]:
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward. [How to unlock Bootloader]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone. So make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP.
- This new CyanogenMod CM 13 Release 1 (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow) custom ROM has to be installed only on OnePlus One aka Bacon models only; if tried on other devices, it might brick them [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> Model Number]
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else the device will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
CyanogenMod CM 13 Release 1 comes with certain restrictions and users are advised to follow some additional steps during custom ROM installation.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod CM13 Release 1 (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow) custom ROM on OnePlus One (aka Bacon) model via TWRP recovery method:
Step 1: Download CyanogenMod CM 13 Release 1 (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow) custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC.
[Note: Downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect OnePlus One to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Place Android Marshmallow custom ROM zip file and the Google Apps .zip file into the phone's storage memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the Recovery mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Navigate back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Return to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android M ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (OnePlus One) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod CM 13 Release 1 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM.
OnePlus One CyanogenMod CM13 Release 1 (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow) custom ROM: HERE [build date: 16/03/2016]
Cyanogen Recovery: HERE
USB driver: HERE