Prolific custom ROM developer community Team Nocturnal has released the new VM13 series firmware to the 2014 flagship smartphone OnePlus One.
VM13 series is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) v6.0 Marshmallow (build name: MRA58K).It is said to feature Doze power saving feature, faster Chrome browser, more intuitive Now on Tap feature, new security feature verified boot system, support for more international dialects, a new contextual assistance feature and numerous other features to enhance user-experience on OnePlus One.
Also read: Google Android 6.0 Marshmallow: 7 key features you need to know
In addition to the Android Marshmallow features, VM13 is also said to come with CyanogenMod based features as well.
We like remind our readers that this VM13 series custom ROM is an experimental Alpha version, so there might be some bugs in it. OnePlus One owners advised to exercise some caution before going forward with the custom ROM installation.
Prerequisites [Things to remember before installing Custom ROM]:
- This new VM13 Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM has to be installed only on OnePlus One aka Bacon models only; if tried on other devices, they might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> Model Number]
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward. [How to unlock Bootloader]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone. So make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else the device will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Team Nocturnal VM13 [Unofficial] Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on OnePlus One (aka Bacon) model via TWRP recovery method:
Step 2: Connect OnePlus One to the computer
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HEREto download the firmware]
Step 3: Place the Team Nocturnal Android v6.0 Marshmallow VM13 custom ROM into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
[Note: If faced with any other issues, please drop-in your concerns, HERE]