Nintendo's line of 3DS handheld gaming consoles is boosted by the company by announcing a line of new consoles - Nintendo 3DS and 3DS XL. The company announced that new consoles on 29 August 2014 in a Nintendo Direct event.
Below are some of the features in the new hardware from Nintendo:
- Improved stereoscopic 3D, allows players to see the screen from any angle thereby improving the viewing angle.
- It was reportedly codenamed Snake.
- Thrice the CPU clockspeed and two times the RAM speed of the original. A faster processor means a faster eShop download.
- Addition of L2 cache.
- Inclusion of C-Stickon the right hand side (above the existing A,B, X, and Y buttons), this will be a second analog nub. This will make it easier for users to port console games and their control schemes to 3DS. This will also mean players need to use Circle Pad Pro.
- Inclusion of ZL/ZR buttons at the rear also called the shoulder buttons.
- Adjustment of brightness based on environmental lighting.
- Larger screens
- Buttons colour based on Super Famicom controllers.
- Amiibo figures get built-in support or NFC support.
- Customisable theme covers for the new 3DS.
- Lighter than the original.
- It has a Micro SD slot.
- Games coming for new 3DS and 3DS XL will not be playable on the original.
- Video game, Xenoblade Chronicles has been announced for the new 3DS.
- Kotaku reported that the new 3DS will have filter on the handheld's web browser that will restrict websites being accessed from the new handheld. Users will have to shell out 0 yen (about $.29) to get rid of the filter.
- To be launched in Japan later in 2014.
- European launch likely in 2015.
- No confirmation for North America launch.
- New 3DS is selling for ¥16,000 ($154) and new 3DS XL is selling for ¥18,800 ($180).
Meanwhile, Nintendo 3DS user will be able to have customisable home menu. This feature will be added as part of system update for 3DS in October. Nintendo will also be adding Themes Store in eShop menu.
Each theme will be able to bring change to the 3DS' home menu's background, icons, folders, music and sound effects. Release images show themes for Animal Crossing, The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. and a general Mario design.
List of 14 Titles Coming to Wii U in 2015
Below is a list of 14 gaming titles that will be released in 2015 for Wii U:
- The Legend of Zelda
- Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Devil's Third
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
- Yoshi's Woolly World
- Kirby(working title)
- Star Fox (working title)
- Mario Maker (working title)
- Project Giant Robot
- Project Guard
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong (working title)
- Mario Party 10
- Art Academy (working title)