It is National Sports Day today and it marks the birth anniversary of legendary Indian Hockey player Dhyan Chand. This day is observed in memory of Dhyan Chand, who is considered as one of the best players in the history of the national game.
Friendly matches among different Indian Hockey teams are organised at the Dhyan Chand National stadium in New Delhi and the day is also celebrated with distribution of various sports awards like Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna at the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Although 29 August is observed as National Sports Day in memory of the Hockey player, Indian sports-persons have attained glory in almost all kinds of sports at the international level. Indians have put the nation on the global map amazing performances in Cricket, Tennis, Badminton, Boxing and many more.
Legendary sports persons like Sachin Tendulkar, Milkha Singh and several other young athletes have come up as an inspiration to the entire nation with their passion and zeal for their respective sports.
Here is a compilation of some of the best inspirational quotes from famous sports persons of India that will surely motivate you to follow your passion.
- When people throw stones at you, you turn them into milestones: Sachin Tendulkar
- I want to be the best, it's not about the ranking, it's about being consistent: Saina Nehwal
- As long as I am winning, people shouldn't care whether my skirt is six inches long or six feet long: Sania Mirza
- No, I am on national duty. Everything else can wait: Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- People used to say that boxing is for men and not for women and I thought I will show them some day. I promised myself and I proved myself: Mary Kom
- I delayed my father's funeral because of cricket: Virat Kohli
- If I have a reason to do something, and I have enough passion, I generally succeed: Leander Paes
- I would not stop till I had filled up a bucket with my sweat. I would push myself so much that in the end I would collapse and I would have to be admitted to hospital, I would pray to God to save me, promise that I would be more careful in future. And then I would do it all over again: Milkha Singh
- Scrutiny has never scared me because I have had detractors all my life: Vijender Singh
- If we really want to become a good football nation, we need to work at grass-root level, We need to open more and more academies with top facilities: Baichung Bhutia
- I don't think there's any dearth of talent in India - we've always had the best juniors in the world: Mahesh Bhupati