Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday said that he had approached United States President Barack Obama during the ASEAN Summit in Laos to tell him that he hadn't used foul language towards him.
Speaking to the Filipino community in Indonesia, Duterte said that he introduced himself to Obama saying, "President Obama, I'm President Duterte. I never made that statement, check it out."
Duterte added that Obama responded to his denial by saying, "My men will talk to you." and Duterte replied with, "Ok," the Associated Press reported.
Duterte had reportedly called the U.S. President a "son of a b****" while talking to mediapersons in Philippines on Monday. It resulted in Obama cancelling their formal meeting at ASEAN Summit, which was scheduled for Tuesday. The duo met informally on Wednesday in a holding room before attending a gala dinner at the summit.
After the summit, Duterte blamed media for distorting his statement. He said that he did say the words "son of a b****", but they were not directed at the U.S. President.
On Monday, Duterte had said that he would not take any question from Obama regarding the extrajudicial killings in Philippines, which have occurred ever since he won the presidential elections in June. Duterte has encouraged citizens in Philippines to bring justice to drug peddlers in the nation as a part of his crackdown on suspected drug dealers and users. Over 2,800 people have been killed in this crackdown so far.
"I do not care about him. Who is he? You must be respectful. Do not just throw questions and statements. Putang Ina, I will swear at you at that forum," he added, using the Tagalog phrase for "son of a b****."
When mediapersons asked Duterte as to how will he explain the killings in Philippines to Obama, he responded saying that his nation is no longer a colony of the U.S. and that he is answerable to no one else except the Filipino people.