If you were eagerly waiting to download the beta version of Xiaomi's latest MIUI 7 ROM to give your Mi smartphone a fresh look, here's your chance. The process to install MIUI 7 Beta is a bit tricky as it is not rolled like the stable OTA update. Hence, it is essential to follow the step-by-step guide put up by Xiaomi.
First, let's take a look at what you get by upgrading to MIUI 7 Beta. Since the new software is not a stable version, get ready to face some bugs and issues. But the pros might overcome the cons considering MIUI 7 comes pre-loaded with new features, upgrades and sensible improvements.
MIUI 7 Change-log: Key Upgrades
- Showtime: Play videos for contacts on incoming calls.
- Baby album: Automatically sorts all baby images into one folder for easy access.
- Smart SMS filter: Separates all service messages into a dedicated notification tab.
- Visual IVR: Offers seamless navigation while calling customer service.
- Quick OTP: Helps with OTP-essential transactions.
- XXL Text: Increases font size to fit your needs.
- Optimisation: Improves the battery life by up to 10 percent and system response speed by 30 percent.
- Child Mode: Locks all essential apps and files and controls what your kids can access.
- Auto DND: When paired with Mi Band, detects if the wearer is sleeping to activate Do Not Disturb mode.
- Themes: Plenty new themes like Rose, Pink Blush, Ocean Breeze, High Life and more.
"MIUI 7 is a fresh new take on our immensely popular operating system, well-loved by over 150 million users. With so many exciting new enhancements, you will be able to feel the difference the moment you power on your phone running MIUI 7. With more new system UIs to choose from, customised profile videos for calls using Showtime and a variety of personalisation options, MIUI 7 is truly 'Yours by Design'," Xiaomi vice president Hugo Barra said in a statement.
MIUI 7 Beta: Supported Devices
- Redmi 2
- Redmi 1S
- Xiaomi Mi 4i
- Xiaomi Mi 4
- Xiaomi Mi 3
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 3G and 4G
MIUI 7 Beta: How To Install?
Before installing the new MIUI 7 Beta, make sure you take a backup of your device as the data will be wiped during the process. Follow the steps below to install the MIUI 7 Beta on your supported Mi phones: (via Xiaomi MIUI Official Thread)
Step 1: Download MIUI ROM flashing tool
Step 2: Download Fastboot and Recovery images for your device. Download links are available at the end of Xiaomi's MIUI thread under MIUI 7 Global Beta ROM 5.8.22 Download Links.
Step 3: Restart in Fastboot mode by holding Volume and Power buttons together.
Step 4: Connect your phone to PC using USB cable
Step 5: Open the downloaded ROM file by double clicking on it. Launch the folder for the decompressed ROM pack and copy its path on the PC.
Step 6: Decompress the MIUI ROM flashing tool and double click on it to install.
Step 7: After successfully installing it, open MiFlash.exe and paste into the address bar the ROM file folder path copied in Step 5.
Step 8: Click on Refresh and the MiFlash will detect your device and then click Flash.
Step 9: Wait for the installation to complete and for the smartphone will reboot.
When the smartphone returns to the homescreen after a restart, it will be running the latest MIUI 7 beta software.