Mojang, the company behind popular creative game Minecraft, has debunked all rumours and speculations over the possibility of its fans seeing a Minecraft 2, touted to be a sequel to Minecraft.
Following the acquisition of Mojang by industry biggie Microsoft Studios, many speculated that the development for Minecraft 2 could be doubled up, but this was shot down previously by Phil Spenser, head of Xbox. Mojang has now categorically said that there will not be a Minecraft 2 at least in the "foreseeable future."
Jonas Martensson, CEO told IGN that there have been no plans for the development of a Minecraft 2, but did not outrightly say fans that will "never" see it either.
"First of all, there's been no discussions about Minecraft 2 at the moment. I can't promise forever there'll never be a Minecraft 2, but for the foreseeable future there won't be," he said.
Mojang is more than happy to update the present game and will continue to support it until 2020, reports said.
"The way to think about it is more to do with continual updates and a continual process," clarified Matt Booty, general manager of Microsoft Game Studios.
Further, during the Gamescom 2015 Booty told IGN that the company is heading into building a "more unified" Minecraft community. He explained that this is the "first step" that the company is taking in its goal to have cross-platform play. The recently revealed Minecraft for Windows 10 can be played using Xbox One controller, touchscreen or keyboard and mouse. He also added that the company's philosophy when developing Minecraft for Windows 10 was such that "it gets updated often."
Mojang has released an updated Snapshot 15w32b with changes and bugfixes. It has listed the changes made below (Mojang):
- Redesigned world select screen.
- Another thing with values.
- Potions are tasting much better now, especially the harmful ones.
- [Bug MC-82925] – Potions in new snapshot turn into water bottles with no texture / missing texture
- [Bug MC-82968] – Kicked from server when in certain area
- [Bug MC-83448] – Dragon respawns in old world
- [Bug MC-83894] – /replaceitem cannot place non-armor items into Armor Stands' head slot
- [Bug MC-84035] – Enderdragon can't die unless perched on portal
- [Bug MC-85110] – Crash on shooting ender dragon with an arrow
- [Bug MC-85152] – Command block minecarts despawn after loading world.