The presentation briefing the security issues, women's safety, modernized services, inner conflicts creating turbulence in the nation, has been flagged a green signal by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
The list of issues that needs immediate attention of the ministry was compiled by Ministry of Home Affairs' Secretary Anil Goswami. It will be presented before Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the coming days of this week, according the Economic Times report.
Following are the major issues that Modi government wants to address and bring into action immediately.
- Assam's long time struggle for the Schedule Tribe status for the six indigenous communities — Koch-Rajbongshis, Morans, the tea tribes (Adivasis), Tai Ahoms, Mataks and Sootias — will soon be granted as the centre has decided to fast track the procedure. These communities have been demanding the ST status for many years now, Koch-Rajbongshis' struggle for the status have crossed two decades. Last time, when the Registrar General of India denied them ST status in 2012, the communities came out to protest on the status. Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi's government and United Liberation Front of Assam too have been demanding ST status for these communities.
- One of the most worrying issue for the Centre — Maoism or Left-wing extremism too is in the presentation. The figures on Maoists terror in the country's Maoist prone region revealed that the violence level in the present year is the same as that of last year.
- They also have plans to establish peaceful relations with the two North eastern organisations — National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN) and United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA). ULFA formed in 1979 and NSCN founded in 1980 have been fighting for the formation of autonomous states. ULFA since its formation wants to form socialist Assam through armed struggle, while NSCN wants their separate state consisting of only Naga people.
- Another major issue brought up during electioneering — resettlement of Kashmiri pundits/migrants to the valley — is also on the presentation. They have considered giving priority to settle the long ongoing disputes in Kashmir.
- The Ministry will plan upon diverting the misguided youth and surrendered terrorists in the state of Manipur towards joining the additional troops. The Ministry plans to create an auxiliary battalion out of these youths.
- The Ministry wants to control the illegal immigration in India, which has been NDA government's one of the major concerns since taking over the Centre's rule this year. National Population Register will be used to establish a national identity system to infiltrate the migrants soon.
- Special attention has also been given to the Indian Police Services. The presentation has a proposal to ensure increased number of women in police forces. Plans will be made to hire more IPS officers to fill in the 930 vacant seats and their regular promotions too will be prioritized. The Ministry is making sure to fast track the process of implementing one number for all the emergency services — police, ambulance and fire — like USA's 911 emergency number.
- Women's security too is on their minds due to increased incidents against them.
While they will be dealing with the measures to ensure women's safety in metros, the hesitation among women in approaching police station at times of trouble will be sorted out. They have planned to take the complaint filing to a technical level by making it online.