Meizu is taking the competition to a whole new level by challenging Apple in the flagship battle. The company's CEO Bai Jongxiang at the MediaTek's event Wednesday said that the Meizu Pro 6 would be an iPhone 7-killer and said the handset would be worth the wait.
Meizu Pro 6 is making the headlines for its design, which according to the company's VP Li Nan, had been in works for quite some time now. Nan also cleared the air around some photos of the Pro 6 making the rounds on the internet as iPhone 7. Nan shared a real life teaser image of the Meizu Pro 6 on his official Weibo account, which backs his claims.
The picture shared by Nan shows the rear bottom half of the Pro 6 to the point where the company's branding is seen. The antenna bands along the corners of the bottom of the screen resemble that of some leaked photos of iPhone 7. Another photo shared by Nan shows the front side of the Pro 6, featuring curved edges, edge-to-edge screen and a unibody, much identical to that of Apple's latest iPhones, Apple Insider reported.
Nan shared the images much ahead of the device's official release to avoid any confusion with links to iPhone 7. Meizu is expected to launch the Pro 6 smartphone in Q3 this year, most likely clashing with iPhone 7 release in September, Android Headlines reported.
Besides the looks, Meizu's VP said the upcoming flagship would not feature a QHD display or the Exynos 8890 processor. The company would rather sport a full HD display with Force Touch technology to provide extended battery life and pressure sensitive touch responses. Meizu is considering MediaTek's Helio X20 deca-core SoC to power the handset, Nan said.
Meizu Pro 6 is said to feature other premium specs such as MBack 3.0 fingerprint scanner, Hi-Fi 3.0, fast charging support and twice the RAM capacity than the Pro 5. Meizu might launch the Pro 6 in two variants, the high-end model with 6GB RAM and 128GB storage and a lower-end variant with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage.