According to initial reports, the fire was caused when some garbage being burnt at the spot spread. However, later reports said that an electric pole had short-circuited in the area. People around the electric pole fled immediately as smoke was emanating from it.
Large and black plumes of smoke were seen coming out of the dumpyard.
Investigation is being carried on and no casualties have been reported yet.
This is the second such incident in the Kandivali area. On Wednesday, a godown was completely gutted at Charkop Industrial Estate. The godown reportedly stored plastic illegally. People were stuck inside the godown, but were safely rescued.
On Tuesday, a fire at a building on the 20th floor of a Cuffe Parade building South Mumbai area killed two people and injured 14 others.
Mumbai has faced multiple fire incidents in the recent past, many of which have been in dumpyards. Frequent fires at dumpyards have also affected toxicity levels in the city.