Representational Image
Representational ImageReuters

Six people were charred to death after a major fire broke out early Monday in a godown in Bangalore, Karnataka.

The godown, located on Magadi Road, stocked inflatable seating material meant for exports.

The fire engulfed the storehouse at 5: 30 am and killed the six workers who were asleep inside following their night shift.

As soon as reports of the fire broke six fire tenders rushed to the spot but failed to rescue the six people trapped inside the building.

The bodies of five workers were found lying on the spot where they had been sleeping. One was recovered close to the entrance indicating that he made an attempt to escape.

"We employed 11 fire fighters and the fire has now been put out. Five persons were seen in lying down position, completely charred, while another body was found near the entrance which had a rolling shutter and was closed from the front," a fire services officer told UNI.

"According to initial information, seven workers worked throughout the night as the company had to send a large consignment of seats to Dubai on Monday (Monday). Hence, they slept in the early hours of Monday. One of them went out to bring tea and thereby his life was saved.

"Unfortunately he had to lock the rolling shutter before he went out as the godown was stocked fully," added the officer.

In a similar incident in February, 19 people were killed when a major fire broke out in a multi-storey building in central Kolkata. The fire destroyed several shops including plastic and paper godowns.

Quick Links