Two doctors at Washim civil hospital were suspended after 14 people lost their eyesight during a botched cataract surgery last month, said reports.
However, doctors have claimed that unsterilised surgical instruments might be the cause of the incident.
The patients were later brought to JJ Hospital in Mumbai in a bid to restore their vision.
Preliminary test have discovered the presence of pseudomonas, a highly infectious bacteria, which could have possibly been transmitted from the contaminated surgical gear, as per reports.
"On October 31, we got reports of surgery botch-up at the Washim cataract check-up camp and subsequent negligence at the Akola Medical College," The New Indian Express quoted a senior health official as saying.
"The health department officials immediately swung into action and shifted 22 patients from Washim and Akola to Mumbai's JJ Hospital, where all efforts are being made to restore their eye-sight under the supervision of world class ophthalmologists," he added.