On the eve of world's largest mobile event Mobile World Congress, 2015 set to begin in Barcelona, LG Electronics (LG) has announced the global roll-out of its most anticipated curved smartphone, G Flex2.
Major carriers in the United States, Hong Kong, Singapore, France, Germany and the UK will be among the first to offer the G Flex2 to lucky customers, while key markets in North and South America, Europe and Asia will announce the sale in the weeks following MWC.
Unveiled in January at CES 2015, the G Flex2 has garnered much appreciation for its stylish looks, nimble performance and UX features optimised for its unique form factor. Set within the G Flex2's contoured shape is a 5.5-inch Full HD Plastic-OLED display to deliver an incredibly sharp and vivid viewing experience from every angle.
Powered by an Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor, the G Flex 2 will be available in two memory variants, the 16GB edition will pair up 2GB worth RAM and the 32GB variant will be featuring 3GB of RAM memory. It also comes with LG's Self Healing back cover, which claims to heal everyday scratches. The G Flex 2 packs a 3000 mAh battery and the most required fast charger feature, which can charge half of the battery in just half an hour.
To create a better user experience, the G Flex2 offers an upgraded Gesture Shot, which makes it easier than ever to take selfies with just a hand gesture. LG has extended the distance from which the camera can recognise one's hand to 1.5 meters, perfect for today's popular selfie sticks. The new Gesture View makes it convenient to check one's last shot immediately after taking a photo and Glance View displays key information such as time, recent messages or missed calls with a downward swipe of the curved screen even while the display is off.
Juno Cho, president and CEO of the LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company said, "We think the G Flex2 is the perfect example of form and function coming together beautifully. It's a smartphone that people simply won't be able to take their eyes off of."
Days before, LG has also launched an array of budget Android smartphones and it is possible that they will also release the G3 successor LG G4 in the Mobile World Congress event. Other cult smartphone makers like Samsung, Sony and HTC have also hinted that they will probably be releasing their upcoming flagship Samsung Galaxy S6, Sony Xperia Z4 and HTC One M9 in the same event.
Key Specifications (may vary depending on market):
• Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor with 2.0GHz 64-bit Octa-Core CPU
• Display: 5.5-inch Full HD Curved P-OLED (1080 x 1920 pixels / 403 ppi)
• Memory: 16/32GB eMMC ROM / 2GB DDR4 RAM / microSD slot (up to 2TB)
• Camera: Rear 13.0MP with OIS+ with Laser Auto Focus / Front 2.1MP
• Battery: 3,000mAh (embedded)
• Operating System: Android 5.0 Lollipop
• Size: 149.1 x 75.3 x 7.1-9.4mm
• Weight: 152g
• Network: 4G LTE / HSPA+ 21/42 Mbps
• Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac / Bluetooth Smart Ready (Apt-X) 4.1 / NFC / SlimPort / A-GPS / Glonass / USB 2.0
• Color: Platinum Silver / Flamenco Red
• Other: Gesture Shot / Gesture View / Glance View