The year 2015 is going to get over soon and now is the time to look back at some of the memorable moments in the game of cricket that we had witnessed earlier this year. In this story , we will walk through the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2015 and catch a glimpse of the top five matches that kept the fans on the edge of their seats.
1. Kolkata Knight Riders vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: KKR got off to a wonderful start with the help of skipper Gautam Gambhir and Robin Uthappa. They added 87 runs in the first wicket and both the players got out in quick succession. Then the wickets started falling regularly until Andre Russell smashed some gigantic sixes and propelled the total to 178 runs in 20 overs. It was a tricky pitch for sure and RCB had to bat really well to get those runs. RCB batsmen kept on throwing their wickets away. But only the big Jamaican stood tall on one end. Gayle rocketed to 96 runs from just 55 balls and guided his side to a fantastic victory by seven wickets and more than an over to spare.
2. Mumbai Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: It was carnage at the Wankhede Stadium when AB de Villiers went hammer and tongs and smashed a blistering century. He was ably backed by the skipper Virat Kohli who also scored at a healthy rate. Both De Villiers and Kohli remained not out on 133 and 82 respectively, thereby setting a target of 235 runs. Mumbai Indians did not give up that easily. They fought hard to get 196 of those runs but at the end, the hosts fell short by 39 runs.
3. Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: It was rain-curtailed match and the umpires decided to play only 11 overs-a-side. Sunrisers Hyderabad had won the toss and they wanted to bat first. They got 133 runs in those 11 overs, courtesy a couple of thundering knocks from David Warner and Moises Henriques. It started raining again at Hyderabad and the match was further curtailed to 6 overs. RCB had to get 83 runs in six overs and guess what, they got there with one ball to spare. And yet again it was the big Jamaican Gayle who lead his side to yet another scintilating victory.
4. Mumbai Indians vs Kings XI Punjab: The Lions from the Punjab came out to bat first and they posted 177 runs. They would not have reached that target if George Bailey would not have played that knock of 61 runs from just 31 balls. Kings Xi Punjab bowling attack ran through the top half of the Mumbai Indians lineup within 10 overs and left them reeling at 60 for the loss of six wickets. It was then Harbhajan Singh whose heroics with the bat was widely applauded. It was sad that none of the players could partner him well or else Mumbai Indians would have gone on to win that match.
5. Chennai Super Kings vs Mumbai Indias: The big final of the IPl 2015 had two of the heavyweights locking horns. It had to be a riveting encounter. Mumbai Indians batsmen Lendl Simmons and skipper Rohit Sharma powered their side to a total of 207 runs in 20 overs. Only Dwayne Smith and MS Dhoni showed some resilience and the rest of the lineup succumbed to the pressure and lost the game by 46 runs. Mumbai Indians lifted the IPL trophy for the second time in three years.