The ICC World T20 2016 was filled with brilliant fielding efforts. Some of them were so crucial that won the team the game. Some great saves were made, some terrific catches were taken.
As West Indies have emerged as the champions of the ICC World T20 2016, here is a look at five of the best catches that were taken during the tournament.
1. Nathan McCullum against India - India were in deep trouble in the opening match of the tournament against New Zealand. The match was being played on a wicket where the ball was turning square from ball one. India batsmen could not handle the spin of McCullum, Mitchell Santner and Ish Sodhi. Only MS Dhoni could play sensibly. India needed 48 runs from15 balls and Dhoni tried to hoick one over the long on but he could not time the ball properly and it was travelling fast towards McCullum. The ball started dipping on to him, but he moved forward to grab the ball.
2. Soumya Sarkar against Pakistan - This was, arguably, the best of catch of the tournament. When Pakistan took on Bangladesh at the Eden Gardens during a group stage match, the former were on their way to posting a mammoth total. Mohammad Hafeez stole the show with his 64 from 42 balls. But he would have scored a lot more had Soumya Sarka had not taken a stunner at the boundary line, juggling the ball before doing the lob, jump out and come back in catch.
3. Hardik Pandya against Pakistan - Sharjeel Khan was dismissed by Suresh Raina in the match at the Eden Gardens. Raina would not have gotten the wicket, had Hardik Pandya not pulled off the screamer at long on. Pakistan were off to a good start against India and MS Dhoni & co. were looking for a wicket. Khan mistimed one and it went high in the air and Pandya came running in, making a lot of ground to take a splendid catch. Pandya also hurt himself while taking the catch.
4. Joe Root against Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka were fighting hard for a win against England. It was a do-or-die match for both teams. Sri Lanka skipper Angelo Mathews was playing a very good innings and almost took Sri Lanka home. At the other end, Mathews was being supported by Dasun Shanaka, who had already hit a few balls to the boundary. Shanaka tried to take on Chris Jordan as the pressure was mounting on the Lankans, and Root took a stunner at mid-off to turn the game in England's favour.
5. Soumya Sarkar against India - Hardik Pandya is a destructive batsman when in full flow. He was trying to take on the Bangladeshi bowling attack and pulled one towards square leg, but little did he know that Sarkar would be there to dive to his left and take an oytstanding catch in the deep.