Investigating officers use a sniffer dog as they inspect the site of an explosion at Dilsukh Nagar, in Hyderabad February 21, 2013.
Investigating officers use a sniffer dog as they inspect the site of an explosion at Dilsukh Nagar, in Hyderabad February 21, 2013.Reuters

As the CCTV camera installed in Dilsukhnagar was reportedly sabotaged just days before the twin blasts, the Hyderabad police are clueless about the people behind the attack. Though no outfit has claimed responsibility, latest reports suggest that Indian Mujahideen founder Riyaz Bhatkal may have orchestrated the blasts from Pakistan.

Bhatkal, who is holed up in Pakistan, was said to have masterminded the Hyderabad twin blasts and carried out the attack with the help of IM operative Yasin Bhatkal, sources told Zee News

Speculations are also doing the rounds that the blasts were executed to avenge the death of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.

The explosions were suspected to have been carried out by well-trained people with an aim to cause widespread damage. Police are yet to ascertain the nature of the blasts.

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) team rushed to the sites of the blasts and cordoned off the area soon after the incident. Cellphone networks were temporarily suspended in Dilsukhnagar area to avoid spreading of rumours and panic among people.

Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde arrived in Hyderabad on Friday morning and visited the blast sites along with Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan, Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumr Reddy, APCC president Botcha Satyanarayana, state Home Minister P. Sabitha Reddy, and officials from the State Police and NIA.

Shinde, who also visited the injured at CARE Hospital, said that 14 people were killed and 119 injured from the twin blasts. He told reporters that the culprits will be caught soon but chose not to blame any outfit, including the speculated Indian Mujahideen, for the barbaric attacks.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had earlier condemned the bomb blasts saying, "This is a dastardly attack, the guilty will not go unpunished." He appealed to the people of Hyderabad to remain calm.

The prime minister has also sanctioned ex-gratia from the Prime Minister's National Relief Fund to the tune of ₹2 lakh each to the next of kin of the deceased persons and ₹50,000 each to those seriously injured in bomb blasts. 

The blasts sparked outrage from international communities. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has condemned that attack and US Secretary of State John Kerry expressed his sympathies to the people Hyderabad, describing them as "brave".

Quick Links