Its been more than two months since Sony released Android 5.0.2 Lollipop to the Xperia Z2 (aka Sirius), and there is no news as to when the company would commence new v5.1.1 series firmware roll-out process to the 2014 flagship smartphone.
However, there is some good news for Xperia Z2 owners, as a new Resurrection Remix custom ROM has been deployed to the device. It comes with numerous bug-fixes, performance tweaks, improved battery life and some personalisation options such as:
- Theme chooser (Resurrection Remix exclusive Pitch Black theme, Animations, toast & list animation, system animation)
- Anywhere gesture feature
- Status bar (with brightness slider, enable/disable show notification count, SuperUser Indicator switch, carrier label switch, quick pulldown switch and many more options)
- Navigation bar (enable/disable Navbar, Navbar ring switch, ring targets, button customization and more options)
- Recent Panel (clear-all button switch, task switch, all button location)
- Clock widget (clock and alarm customisation, weather panel customisation, calendar events)
- App Circle bar (trigger options for width, height and position)
- Lockscreen (100 plus icons for shortcuts)
- Notification Drawer (weather display switch, quick settings, option to add 20 plus tiles, long press toggles to enter settings and more)
- Other features to enhance user experience of Xperia Z2 device
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new Resurrection Remix Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM has to be installed only on the Sony Xperia Z2 (aka Sirius) model; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation. [Read More: How to Unlock Bootloader on Xperia Devices – Official Sony Video Tutorial]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Sony Xperia Z2) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Resurrection Remix Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z2-
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia Z2 to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Place Resurrection Remix Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia Z2) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Resurrection Remix Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]