AOSP (Android Open Source Project) based 5.1.1 Lollipop has been made available for the Samsung Galaxy S3 3G.
This new AOSP firmware promises pure Android experience without the bloatwares seen in Samsung's official tweaked Android interface TouchWiz.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM):
- This new AOSP 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware should be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 (with Exynos chipset) 3G only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with the installation
- Installation of the custom ROM requires clearing of smartphone memory, so users are advised to back the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone
- Make sure to install USB drivers on the PC or else the smartphone (Galaxy S3) will not be recognised
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else the smartphone will get temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM]
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step guide for installing ASOP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
Step 2: Connect the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software; if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder. Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool].
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'.
Step 8: Return to ClockworkMod recovery and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users don't face boot loops or any other error in the middle of the custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to Recovery and Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same process for Google Apps
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now your device (Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300) will take at a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of AOSP 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]