A new version of CyanogenMod CM12.1 series firmware has been made available to Samsung's mid-range smartphone Galaxy Grand 2.
The new CM12.1 series software is based on the latest AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.1.1_r4 Lollipop update. It has been created by a senior XDA Developer Forum member, who goes by the name Mukulsoni.
It is said to bring bug fixes, performance tweaks and numerous personalization options to enhance user experience on Samsung Galaxy Grand 2.
We would like to remind that this CM12.1 firmware is an unofficial version, so there is a possibility that there might be some hidden bugs in it. The glitches are likely to be benign, nothing serious that might affect the phone's performance.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- The new CyanogenMod [Unofficial] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM12.1 custom ROM has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102) models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward with custom ROM installation.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Grand 2) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Also, make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experience, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes Indiacannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure for CyanogenMod [Unofficial] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102)-
[MD5 key: 6f5218eaf091b4e17c833c45999ff5b1]
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102) to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place EuphoriaOS Android v5.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for Google Apps installation [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now your device (Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [Unofficial] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM12.1 custom ROM.