Horizon: Zero Dawn, Guerrilla Games' newest project, holds a lot of promise, going by the gameplay snippets we have seen so far. Surprisingly, the title wasn't even in the news because there were hardly any rumours or leaks associated with it.
While the initial gameplay trailers for Horizon: Zero Dawn were exciting, there's more to it than meets the eye. Here's a first look at the Guerrilla's upcoming title.
Horizon: Zero Dawn – First Look
- A PS4 exclusive, Horizon: Zero Dawn takes place in the distant future, thousands of years after an apocalypse wiped out most of the humans from the face of the planet. In their absence, mega cities were reduced to mere wastelands, inhabited by robotic creatures (resembling mecha dinos).
- The player will step into the shoes of Aloy, a young huntress separated from her tribe, who takes on the beasts with whatever tactical skills she has at her disposal. For Aloy, it's most imperative that she finds out about the enemy's weaknesses and exploit them to her advantage.
- The landscape will be dotted with several mechanized creatures, both big and small, with the smaller ones being easier to take down. As far as the larger ones are concerned, it will require a lot of patience to destroy them. The player is required to hit the bigger ones multiple times to bring them down.
- Aloy has her trusty bow and arrows, which she uses effectively, to pierce enemies. She will also rely on several different techniques to trap and bring down the beasts. Players can set up effective traps within the game's environment that will inflict damage on the foes.
- A lot of focus has been applied on melee attacks that make use of several enhancements. There's also the option to distract foes and separate them from the herd by throwing items from a distance.
- Once a beast has been put down, Aloy can collect valuable resources (electrical and mechanical parts) that will be required to improve her current arsenal, or to even craft newer ones. While Guerrilla Games is still required to shed a bit of light on the crafting, know that scavenging will form an integral part of the game.
- Going by the looks of it, Horizon: Zero Dawn will offer plenty of replay value, owing mostly to the vast open world Guerrilla has developed. There will be a host of new beasts to find and collect resources from. Players can delay missions if they want to scour the land for more resources.
- We are expecting an intriguing storyline. While it has already been revealed that this is a futuristic game with humans going back to the hunter-gatherer mode to survive, the story will also reveal how Aloy becomes a more effective hunter and about the creator of the machine animals.
Horizon: Zero Dawn is set to arrive next year exclusively on PlayStation 4. You can check out the game's E3 2015 reveal gameplay trailer below.
Stay tuned for more updates!