Popular custom ROM developer community AICP (Android Ice Cold Project) has released the latest Android Nougat-based firmware to Google's former flagship tablet, Nexus 7 (2013).
The new AICP software brings all the Nougat features, including battery optimisation, split screen, and also exclusive themes, revamped interface, performance tweaks and many other value-added features to enhance user experience.
Readers should remember that the AICP's Nougat custom ROM is an experimental version and may contain bugs in it. So far, there have been no major complaints as such, but you should go through the entire tutorial and then go ahead with the installation procedure.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM):
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This new Android Nougat custom ROM series has to be installed on Google Nexus 7 LTE (aka Deb) and Wi-Fi only (aka Flo) 2013 series models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the tablet, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure the USB driver is installed in the PC, or else your device (Google Nexus 7) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of the tablet getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of AICP (unofficial) Android 7.0 Nougat custom ROM on Google Nexus 7 (2013) models:
Step 1: Download AICP (unofficial) Android 7.0 Nougat custom ROM and Google Apps) on to your PC.
[Scroll down to find the downloadable files]
Step 2: Connect Google Nexus 7 to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Place Android 7.0 Nougat custom ROM .zip file and into the device's memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip files in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Volume (down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then clear the device memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'.
Step 8: Navigate back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation].
Step 9: Return to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'.
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 7.0 ROM .zip file in storage and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options].
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Google Nexus 7 2013) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Head to 'Settings' >> select 'About device' to confirm the installation of AICP (unofficial) Android 7.0 Nougat custom ROM custom ROM nightly.
AICP (unofficial) Android 7.0 Nougat custom ROM: HERE
Google Apps: HERE (Recommended: OpenGApps ARM 7.0 Micro)
USB driver: HERE
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum and AICP]