It's been more than a month since Google officially released pure Android 6.0 Marshmallow to Nexus series devices, including Nexus 5.
But, if Nexus 5 owners aren't impressed with the new OS and want to get more out of their smartphone, they can try the CyanogenMod CM13 custom ROM.
Besides, the Android Marshmallow features such as Doze power saving mode, new applications, setting short-cuts, CM13 offers performance tweaks, CyanogenMod's visually appealing interface, custom email inbox and numerous other value-added features to enhance user-experience on Google Nexus 5.
We like to remind our readers that this CyanogenMod CM13 series custom ROM is an experimental Alpha version, so there might be some bugs in it. That being said, there are no complaints registered on the XDA Developers Forum so far.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- This new CyanogenMod CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom series has to be installed on Google Nexus 5 (aka Hammerhead) LTE only model, if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the tablet, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed in the PC or else your device (Google Nexus 5) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the tablet getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Procedure of CyanogenMod CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on LG- Google Nexus 5-
Step 2: Connect LG-Google Nexus 5 to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, make sure you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place the Marshmallow custom ROM zip file and Google apps .zip files into the phone's memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in root folder of the storage, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume up', 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to the TWRP Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: Perform the above step if you are migrating from other ROMs or else skip this procedure and do dirty flashing, which means wiping only dalvik cache and cache when flashing an updated version of the same ROM you are currently on]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Go back to the recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache'
[Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (LG-Google Nexus 5) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
The users can then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [un-official] CM13 Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM.
[If faced with any issues, then please leave your feedback, HERE]
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum, Dark_Eyes_]