Last month, OnePlus confirmed that they are working on Google's Android Nougat source-code to make it optimized with the OxygenOS UI for the OnePlus 3 and if history is to be believed, it will take more than a month if not more, for the company to release the update the public.
If patience is not your strongest suit, then you can try installing the BeanStalk custom ROM, which promises not only Android Nougat features, but also offers Dirty Unicorns themes, battery saver options, Quicker system animations, extra lock-screen options, custom boot animation, built-in screen record option, gesture anywhere, performance tweaks, lots more features to enhance user-experience on OnePlus 3.
Having said that, readers are advised to go through the whole article to weigh out all the pros and cons, and then go ahead with the installation.
Prerequisites [Things to remember before installing Custom ROM]:
- This new BeanStalk Android Nougat custom ROM has to be installed only on OnePlus 3 models only; if tried on other devices, it might brick them [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> Model Number]
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward. [How to unlock Bootloader]
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone. So make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else the device will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of BeanStalk Android 7.0 Nougat custom ROM on OnePlus 3 via TWRP recovery method:
Step 1: DownloadBeanStalk Android 7.0 Nougat custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC.
[Note: downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect OnePlus 3 to the computer
Step 3: Place the Android Nougat ROM into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
BeanStalk Android 7.0 Nougat custom ROM: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB driver: HERE
[Credits: BeanStalk, Taker18 and XDA Developer Forum]