With Bharat Ratna Sir M Visvesvaraya's birthday being observed throughout the country and more so in Karnataka, which is the birthplace of the great engineer, it becomes imperative to know the engineering colleges in the state which have managed to deliver quality and adhere to Sir MV's dream of an industrialised state.
Therefore, we have compiled a list of engineering colleges in Karnataka that are traditionally considered to be places imparting quality technical knowledge with an equal blend of academics and extra-curriculars. Check out the list of the best engineering colleges in Karnataka, below. This list should help prospective engineers looking at studying engineering in the state.
- National Institute of Engineering: One of the more older and reputed engineering colleges in Karnataka, the National Institute of Engineering (NIE) was started in the pre-independence period and located in Mysore. NIE has attained autonomous status while being affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University (a collegiate public state university to which most of the engineering colleges in Karnataka owe their affiliation).
- National Institute of Technology Karnataka a.k.a NITK: Located at Surathkal, on the outskirts of Mangalore, NITK is still one of the most reputed and quality engineering institutions in Karnataka. It is said that graduating from the NITK is equivalent to a degree from one of the IITs in the country.
- B.V. Bhoomaraddi College of Engineering and Technology a.k.a BVBCET: Established in 1947, BVBCET known colloquially as BVB is located in Hubballi in North Karnataka. This institution has continued to witness representation in the list of meritorious students in the top 10 lists of Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU).
- Malnad College of Engineering: The Malnad College of Engineering (MCE), very recently bagged the prestigious ISTE Award that honours the top engineering colleges in India. The MCE is affiliated to the VTU. MCE was founded in 1960 with the Government of Karnataka playing an active role in the establishment of the institution.
- University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering (UVCE): Established in 1917 by Sir M.V. himself, the UVCE was established in 1917 and is located in Bangalore. The institution is affiliated to Bangalore University and is a constituent college of the university. UVCE, has been accorded the status of a university and, is among the very few in India to attain the honour.
- Manipal Institute of Technology: The Manipal Institute of Technology a.k.a MIT is located in Manipal in South Karnataka. Established in 1957, MIT has been ranked 5th in a pan-India survey that studied the top private engineering colleges in India. The institute is affiliated to the autonomous Manipal University.
- Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering a.k.a JSS Science and Technology University: Located in Mysore, the institute was established in 1963 and is now an autonomous body having been affiliated to the VTU earlier.
- Siddaganga Institute of Technology: The Siddaganga Institute of Technology a.k.a SIT is located in Tumakuru (formerly Tumkur) in Karnataka. It is run by the Sri Siddaganga Mutt, under the ambit of Sri Siddaganga Educational Society. The institute has attained the status of an autonomous body under the VTU.