Dancing with the Stars
Dancing with the StarsFacebook/Dancing with the Stars

Gary Busey has announced his intention to join the upcoming season of "Dancing with the Stars."

Busey admitted to being a participant on the dancing reality show during his appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" on Tuesday. On being asked why he decided to join "Dancing with the Stars" now, the 71-year-old said, "I didn't have anything else to do."

Interestingly, this is not Busey's first stint on a reality show. He was the season 14 winner of "Celebrity Big Brother" and he has also appeared on "Celebrity Apprentice" twice.

Busey is the ninth competitor to be announced as a celebrity participant, and he will be joining other celebrities such as Bindi Irwin, Victor Espinoza, Nick Carter, Hayes Grier, Alexa and Carlos PenaVega, Chaka Khan and Andy Grammer.

The entire cast will be unveiled Wednesday on "Good Morning America", but rumours are rife that Paula Deen, the Savannah-based celebrity chef who fell from grace after she used the N-word in front of a female employee, is a prime candidate to take part in the show.

It is not immediately known if she will participate, as the home cook had turned down the show twice in the past.

"Dancing with the Stars" reportedly offered her a chance to be a part of season 17 and once again in 2010. And although she was a fan of the show, she had to turn down the offer.

 "They did ask me and I said no," she told Extra at the time, reports noted. "Fat girls don't look good sweating."

But a lot has changed since then, and many believe a stint on "Dancing with the Stars" could be the perfect comeback for Deen.

"If Deen can do the rumba, tango or fox trot, she will take an important first step to a comeback," believes the New York Post's Robert Rorke. "Choice of partner is important. Deen is going to need someone good-natured and handsome who can give her a lot of support."

Season 21 of "Dancing with the Stars" will be debuted Monday, 14 September on ABC.