Delhi University (DU) North Campus
HRD ministry considering linking students' performance to teachers' promotion: Report Picture: Delhi University [Representational Image]Reuters

Delhi University's Vice chancellor Dinesh Singh finally gave up on his stubbornness on continuing with the four-year undergraduate programme, and said that admissions to the  three-year undergraduate programme would begin soon. 

Singh, on Friday declared that the decision to do away with FYUP came due to the inconvenience faced by the students.

"The University of Delhi recognises the need of the hour. It is of paramount importance to protect the interests of the students by ensuring the start of the admission process. In line with the directive of the UGC, the University has decided to roll back the FYUP," The Hindu Businessline quoted Singh. 

However, the fourth year can now be kept as an option for those willing to go for research. UGC also has directed the university to start admissions on Friday. 

"There is a possibility of the first cut-off list coming by Saturday and admission process starting from Sunday," BL quoted Vidya Venkatraman, Delhi University Teachers Association (DUTA) Executive Council Member. 

While students set to join this year are rejoicing DU's latest decision, those who took admission last year under FYUP, fear the burden that they might have to bear when shifted to TYUP. The 2013 batch will now have to cover remaining three years' syllabus in two years. 

UGC has now shifted its focus on handling the change in plans for 60,000 students from 2013 batch, who need to be moved out of four-year UG structure to three-years.

Chronological events on how it all began

  • On 13 June, the UGC called for a meeting to discuss the four-year structure in DU introduced last year. The commission decided to ask Delhi University to re assess the FYUP norms followed during implementation. The decision came at the backdrop of their conclusion that FYUP violated the national policy of education that approves a 10+2+3 structure, and hence they found it illegal.
  • DU, defending itself on the issue said that all the procedures to pass FYUP was legally followed with the approval of the Visitor; the President. They also claimed that before implementing the new programme structure in 2013, an ordinance was sent to the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
  • UGC sent another letter on 18 June seeking a copy of the ordinance DU had sent to MHRD.
  • The commission sent a notice to DU on 20 June asking it to scrap FYUP, as the university while implementing FYUP did not follow the procedures as mentioned in the DU Act. It asked DU to comply with the directives by 23 June and start taking admission under FYUP.
  • The University rejected UGC's orders released to it on all dates—20, 21 and 23 June. They insisted on following all the procedures legally.
  • While Shri Ram College of Commerce deferred admission procedure on Monday right after declaring its cut off lists, St. Stephens had already declared the postponement of the admission on Sunday.
  • There were huge protests from students and teachers supporting UGC's order in Delhi. HRD minister Smriti Irani called a meeting of officials from UGC and DU vice chancellor, presidents of DUTA and Delhi University Students Union on 23 June. However, HRD ministry denied from intervening in the DU-UGC issue and asked them to solve it.
  • Earlier this week, when the clash between the two persisted, almost 90 per cent of the colleges decided to comply with the UGC directives and deferred admissions until the final guidelines.
  • Professor and former DUTA member Aditya Narayan Mishra on 24 June filed a plea against UGC's directives in Supreme Court. SC rejected the plea stating that the matter needs effective attention and thus asked him to approach the high court.
  • Following the rejection from SC, VC Singh's resigned from his post, which was dismissed by activist Madhu Kishwar and his legal adviser Suraj Singh.
  • On 25 June, DU filed a plea fighting infavour of going ahead with FYUP while, UGC filed one seeking to scrap the FYUP. Both the pleas were rejected by vacation bench of justices Pratibha Rani and V Kameswar Rao, who denied urgent hearing. The HC asked both the bodies to approach regular bench beginning 1 July.
  • A fresh ultimatum was sent to DU ordering admission from 26 June. In a meeting with DU senior officials and dean of colleges on 25 June, UGC directed them to begin admission in compliance with the orders.
  • On 26 June, DU sent a proposal to UGC after suggestions from eminent scholars and professors. DU suggested modifying the programmes by keeping FYUP for those interested in research while offering three-year honours to the rest.
  • On 27 June, DU complied with the directives of UGC and agreed to resume admission by the end of this week.