Industrious custom ROM developer community CyanogenMod has released the official Android v6.0.1 Marshmallow-based CM 13 Release 1 firmware to Motorola's Google Nexus 6.
For the uninitiated, CM 13 Release 1 is CyanogenMod's stable snapshot, and not an experimental nightly version. It is around 415MB in size and comes with all the features of v6.0 Android OS, a new list of shortcuts, performance tweaks, enhancements to extend battery life and a slew of value-added features to enhance user-experience.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new CyanogenMod CM 13 Release 1 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM series has to be installed on Motorola-Google Nexus 6 (aka Shamu) model only, if tried on other devices, it might brick them [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed in the PC or else your device (Google Nexus 6) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the tablet getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
In addition to aforementioned steps, Nexus 6 users are advised to perform few more additional steps so that there is no hiccup during the installation procedure.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Procedure of CyanogenMod [official] CM 13 Release 1 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM on Motorola- Google Nexus 6-
Step 1: After downloading the CyanogenMod CM 13 Release 1 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM and Google Apps in the PC, connect Motorola-Google Nexus 6 to PC via USB chord.
Step 2: Then, place the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM zip file and Google apps .zip files into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery].
Step 3: Now turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by long pressing 'Volume Up', 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 6: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 7: Then go back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Again come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 9: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Motorola-Google Nexus 6) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android 6.0 Marshmallow CM 13 custom ROM.
Nexus 6 (aka Shamu) CyanogenMod CM 13 Release 1: HERE [build date: 16/03/2016]
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver: HERE