Graphic details are emerging on how a mob in Congo stoned a suspected ISIS terrorist to death, before burning his corpse and eating the remains as a revenge for many attacks perpetrated by the group in the past, which left over 100 people dead.
According to witnesses, the unidentified young man aroused suspicion on a bus in the north eastern part of the country when passengers discovered he could not speak the local Swahili language and that he was carrying a machete.
Local mob, angered and frustrated by a series of terrorist assaults, then stoned the man to death before his body was burned and eaten, Daily Mail reported citing witnesses.
Although the British Daily's headline clearly mentioned the man was a "suspected ISIS terrorist", the story had no clarity on the subject, instead highlighting that the incident in the town of Beni came following a number of overnight raids that are blamed on the Islamist group ADF-NALU. The group of Ugandan rebels thought to be allied with Somalia's al Qaeda is linked to al Shabaab movement – which uses the similar black flag as the ISIS.
The Islamist group's fighters are thought to have massacred more than 100 people last month, using hatchets and machetes to kill their victims. It can therefore, be noted that the presence of machete with the aforementioned man created frenzy among local people who took the dramatic step to feed on his burnt corpse.
Congo's President Joseph Kabila has said that the ADF-NALU militants will face the same fate as the rebel movement M23, which was defeated by the government forces last year.
"There is no question of negotiation with the terrorists," Kabila said in a speech at a local hotel. "They will be defeated as was the case with the M23. And it will be very soon."
The ADF-NALU movement was blamed for the deaths of 14 people, killed early on Thursday in the village of Kampi ya Chui, bringing the total death toll this month to at least 107, Teddy Kataliko, president of the Civil Society of Beni told Reuters.