In his first rally for the second phase of Chhattisgarh polls, BJP prime ministerial nominee Narendra Modi insisted that Congress was scared of losing the Assembly elections for they are yet to declare their chief ministerial candidate.
At a public gathering in Bemetara Chhattisgarh on Thursday, Modi attacked the Congress saying the party does not have the courage to fight Naxalism in Chhattisgarh. Hi statement came days after A few days after Sonia claimed the BJP failed to look into the issue of Naxal violence in the state.
Modi also criticised Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Vice President Rahul Gandhi for playing vote bank politics with the poor. He recalled the Planning Commission's claims that anyone earning ₹26 per day was above the poverty line.
Here are the highlights of Modi's speech at Bemetara:
- Maoists killed BSF jawans during first phase of polling, some jawans are still in hospital. And even after the Maoist warned you and played the politics of pistols, 70 percent of the people voted in first phase in Chhattisgarh and have showed their faith in democracy.
- The BSF soldiers are not just there for security during polls, they are protecting democracy.
- The people of Chhattisgarh, the media want the Congress to declare its chief ministerial candidate for Chhattisgarh. Why is it hidden from us? If you do a sting operation on the Congress then privately they name Ajit Jogi. Is the Congress scared of losing the election if he is declared?
- Madam (Sonia Gandhi) and Shahzade (Rahul Gandhi) came here and boasted that they donated so much money to Chhattisgarh. I ask you, isn't it your right?
- There is Congress governance in the states of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi. Do they provide the people there with free rice? No! Then why are they trying to fool people here (Chhattisgarh).
- Is there even a single Congress government in the entire nation that is giving 24 hour power including in Delhi where Madam, PM and Shahzada live! But in my Gujarat people get electricity for 24 hours.
- In the opinion of Sonia ji, people who can buy 300 gm of onions in Rs 26rs are rich. They mock the poor and treat them only for their vote bank politics.
- Chhattisgarh's development was praised by Congress leaders too but Madam Sonia ji criticised it. Please, at least, do some homework before you make a speech.
- Government in Delhi (UPA government) lacks the courage to fight Naxalism. They do backdoor deals with them, while Dr Raman Singh is fighting it alone without Delhi's help.
- And now they are scared of the opinion polls. They are scared of us (BJP), scared of people's opinions and scared to lose in the coming elections.
The first phase of the Chhattisgarh elections were held on 11 November and the second phase, in which 72 constituencies will vote, are scheduled on 19 November.