Tokyo-based technology major Casio has come up with a Bluetooth enabled smartwatch, GB-6900AA, which displays incoming calls and mails from an iPhone. The wristwatch comes with the brand name G-Shock.
The G-Shock wristwatch boasts of the latest Bluetooth version 4.0, which uses low-power near field communication technology to interact with an iPhone. This multi-functional G-Shock wristwatch is powered by a single button type battery which lasts for two years.
"G-Shock continues to be a leader in cutting-edge technology for timepieces," said Shigenori Itoh, Chairman and CEO of Casio's Timepiece Division.
He further said, "With the release of the Bluetooth LE Smart Watch collection, we are pushing the boundaries of inspired timepieces for the business savvy, technology conscious consumer.", reports Forbes.
Key features of the G-Shock's smartwatch GB-6900AA include:
- Incoming call alert but without caller info.
- Incoming mail alert such as email from Gmail, Yahoo etc. However, it does not support text messages or SMS.
- Users can find their misplaced iPhones by simply pressing the watch button. The smartphone then sounds a tone to let the user to know of its location.
- The wristwatch will automatically vibrate whenever the link between the phone and the watch is lost due to too much distance between the devices.
- The watch has the ability to pick up time information from the iPhone and automatically updates its own time settings accordingly.
- The smartwatch will automatically get disconnected with the phone when the devices are inactive for a set time. A switch in the watch detects the movement and automatically reconnects to the iPhone.
- The G-Shock watch can withstand high voltage shock as well as 200-metre water resistance.
To avail these features in the G-shock GB-6900AA smartwatch, users have to install G-SHOCK+ app in their iPhones. The app is available at the Apple App Store. Users can click here to download the app.
The app is compatible only with iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 models.