A fire at a medical store in Andheri West in Mumbai led to the death of nine people, including at least one woman, on Thursday. Two of these people, who had sustained serious burns in the incident, and were taken to hospital for treatment, but died there, Mumbai Police sources told Internationl Business Times India.
The fire is said to have started after 6 a.m. and was brought under control within half an hour by four fire tenders that reached the spot soon after the blaze was reported around 6:30 a.m., the police sources said.
Mumbai Police spokesperson Ashok Dudhe told ANI the fire could have been caused by a short circuit. Police sources told IBTimes India that although the short circuit is primarily being thought of as the cause behind the fire, further investigations are on to determine it and rule out foul play.
The police sources also said the nine people who have died in the fire used to reside in floors above the medical shop where the fire is believed to have started. There are no confirmations yet if the seven people who had died on the spot had expired due to smoke inhalation, burns or other causes.