Beetroot is known for its colour and flavour. Did you know they are botanically related to spinach and its greens are found to be more nutritious than the beet?
It tastes earthy and sugary, and is an amazing ingredient to make salads. It compliments citrus fruits and veggies really well and also provides you with a bunch of health benefits.
Here are some amazing health enhancement properties:
- The folic acid content in beetroot is beneficial for the foetus during pregnancy as folic acid aids in development of the baby's spinal cord while safeguarding it from any defect.
- Beetroot consumption in the form of juice or salad helps expecting mothers by managing their metabolism and also helps in sustaining their blood pressure.
- Beetroot consumption depletes decalcification of bones and teeth, its intake during pregnancy will curb the risk of osteoporosis.
- Beetroot also has blood purifying quality, it saves the baby from the risk of getting infected. Also, its stamina boosting ability helps pregnant women during delivery.
- Constipation is a major problem for pregnant women and beetroot is very beneficial for those suffering from iron deficiency, the iron it got is organic and does not constipate the consumer like most iron syrups and pills do.
- It aids in lowering blood pressure with the help of dietary nitrate in it. Apart from enhancing the health of the blood vessels, nitrates were also found to boost stamina and improve oxygen delivery to the heart.
- Beetroot juice is found to aid people belonging to the age group of 54 to 80 years by curbing peripheral vascular disease, which causes stiffening of arteries carrying blood to kidneys, stomach, legs and arms.
- The deep red coloured beetroot is rich in vitamin C and gets its beautiful colour due to presence of an antioxidant called anthocyanins which provide you with anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral benefits.
- Beetroot has detoxicating abilities, drinking beetroot juice helps in cleansing your body organs such as kidneys, liver, gall bladder and spleen.
- Excess consumption of a compound called betaine, which is present in beetroot can impact those suffering from kidney issues or who have calcium deficiency, hence consult a doctor to prevent its side effects.