Taiwanese smartphone maker Asus has reportedly released a new update for the Stagefright bug.
Android's Stagefright security loophole, touted as the 'Mother of all vulnerability', has been part of the Android mobile OS since v2.2 but was discovered only a few months ago. It has the potential to wreak havoc on close to a billion devices across the globe.
Unsuspecting users might get an MMS message embedded with a malicious code, which, when opened, installs a bug in the phone. Laterm a hacker can hijack the phone and extract all sensitive details from the device.
Now, The new firmware (build number: V220.127.116.11_20150807) has been made available for download on the Zenfone -ZE551ML (HERE). It not only brings Stagefright bug-fix, but also numerous optimisation features and a new mobile manager app to improve performance and enhance user experience.
In a related development, a new report has surfaced that the Stagefright has slipped passed through Google's security patch.
Change-log of the new Asus update (build number: V18.104.22.168_20150807) for Zenfone 2 (ZE551ML):
1. Implement Android security patch for Stagefright
2. Fix WIFI info sync-up issue
3. Improve System UI and lock screen stability
4. Improve Launcher App stability
5. Fix Alarm function issue after set up in Snap View mode
6. Improve Task Manager
7. Optimize Multi user and Do not disturb mode function stability
8. Fix camera sphere panorama issue
9. Improve Auto Start Manager stability
10. Fixed when AC removed, UI still shows in charge mode.
11. Fixed Cisco Anywhere VPN connectin fail issue
12. Fix Wi-Fi hot spot MAC address
13. Fixed issue that noise comes out when use earphone.
14. Fixed UI shows only can making emergency call issue
15. Fixed vibrate function fail.
16. Fixed NFC can not auto connect to BT earphone.
17. Fixed can't transfer files through NFC(android beam)
18. Fixed can't use Kingston 32G SD
19. Fixed auto enable MTP issue
20. Fixed Screen won't turn on after hang off the phone.
21. Fixed no show PCCW issue.
22. Fixed Wi-Fi hot spot cannot be accessed by Xbox360
23. Fixed 4G internet issue
24. Fixed ID operator can't get H+ issue
25. Fixed internet icon disappear issue
26. Fixed charge issue.
(Via Android Central, Aditya Vaidya)