'Singam 2' Box Office Collection: Suriya Starrer Performs Exceptionally Well in Overseas Markets
Suriya's "Singam 2" is continuing its dream run at the overseas box office, raking in more than ₹2.3 crore.
In the US markets, "Singam 2" had a grand opening and its first weekend collections were pegged at ₹1.47 crore. After an impressive start, its business dropped drastically on Monday (8 July) and Tuesday (9 July). The film made approximately ₹7 lakh in those two days. The total collections from the US now stand at ₹1.54 crore, which is higher than the collections of other Tamil films released in the last few months.
However, "Singam 2" failed to score well than Kamal Haasan's "Vishwaroopam", which was released in January this year. The espionage thriller earned more than ₹3 crore in just three days of its release. Of all the Tamil films released in the first half of the year, "Singam 2" could be termed as the second biggest hit next to "Vishwaroopam."
UK box office
The Suriya-starrer minted more than ₹50 lakh from the UK markets in its debut weekend. Adding the collections of Monday and Tuesday, the film has made around ₹83 lakh (Note: The number of screens allotted for "Singam 2" varies between US and UK markets).
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"Tamil film #Singam2 - UK: Wknd £ 65,806, Mon £ 12,099, Tue £ 15,491. Total: £ 93,396 [Rs 83.27 lacs]. Excellent!" trade analyst and film critic Taran Adarsh tweeted.
"Tamil film #Singam2 - USA: Mon $ 7,380, Tue $ 7,330. Total: $ 256,637 [Rs 1.54 crores]. Super!"
"Singam 2", which was reportedly made on a budget of ₹45 crore, fetched a whopping ₹26 crore nett in the first three days at the domestic box office.
"#Singam2 (Tam) -July 5 to 7- TN, Karnataka, Kerala, North India, Approximate Net - Fri=Rs 8.15 + Sat= Rs 8.68 +Sun=Rs9.45. Total = Rs26.28Cr," senior film journalist Sreedhar Pillai tweeted.
According to a statement released by the film's producer Prince Pictures, "Singam 2" has grossed ₹50 crore in the first weekend worldwide. It is believed that the figures have been estimated taking into account the combined collections of Tamil and Telugu versions released in India as well as in overseas markets.
With the success of "Singam 2", Suriya has once again proved himself as a mass hero. The film's director Hari has broken the myth that sequels do not succeed in Tamil film industry. Now that brand "Singam" has received massive response from film audience, it would be interesting to see if the director-actor duo comes up with a third part of the franchise.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Bajaj Discover 125 Launched In India; Price and Features Details
- Six Nations Where to Watch Live: Ireland vs Italy Live Streaming Information
- International Women’s Day: From Mira Nair to Farah Khan, Women Directors in the Industry
- English Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs Tottenham Live Streaming Information
- English Premier League Preview: West Brom vs Manchester United Live Streaming Information
- FA Cup Quarterfinals Where to Watch Live: Arsenal vs Everton Live Streaming Information
- Singapore Buys A330 Air Tankers, India in Talks - Airbus
- Sensex, Nifty Hit Record Highs; Banking, Realty Stocks Surge
- Government to Set up Inflation Target, RBI to Implement - Chidambaram
- Kejriwal takes Aim at Modi's Economic Model