'Singam 2' Box Office Collection: Suriya Starrer Performs Exceptionally Well in Overseas Markets
Suriya's "Singam 2" is continuing its dream run at the overseas box office, raking in more than ₹2.3 crore.
In the US markets, "Singam 2" had a grand opening and its first weekend collections were pegged at ₹1.47 crore. After an impressive start, its business dropped drastically on Monday (8 July) and Tuesday (9 July). The film made approximately ₹7 lakh in those two days. The total collections from the US now stand at ₹1.54 crore, which is higher than the collections of other Tamil films released in the last few months.
However, "Singam 2" failed to score well than Kamal Haasan's "Vishwaroopam", which was released in January this year. The espionage thriller earned more than ₹3 crore in just three days of its release. Of all the Tamil films released in the first half of the year, "Singam 2" could be termed as the second biggest hit next to "Vishwaroopam."
UK box office
The Suriya-starrer minted more than ₹50 lakh from the UK markets in its debut weekend. Adding the collections of Monday and Tuesday, the film has made around ₹83 lakh (Note: The number of screens allotted for "Singam 2" varies between US and UK markets).
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"Tamil film #Singam2 - UK: Wknd £ 65,806, Mon £ 12,099, Tue £ 15,491. Total: £ 93,396 [Rs 83.27 lacs]. Excellent!" trade analyst and film critic Taran Adarsh tweeted.
"Tamil film #Singam2 - USA: Mon $ 7,380, Tue $ 7,330. Total: $ 256,637 [Rs 1.54 crores]. Super!"
"Singam 2", which was reportedly made on a budget of ₹45 crore, fetched a whopping ₹26 crore nett in the first three days at the domestic box office.
"#Singam2 (Tam) -July 5 to 7- TN, Karnataka, Kerala, North India, Approximate Net - Fri=Rs 8.15 + Sat= Rs 8.68 +Sun=Rs9.45. Total = Rs26.28Cr," senior film journalist Sreedhar Pillai tweeted.
According to a statement released by the film's producer Prince Pictures, "Singam 2" has grossed ₹50 crore in the first weekend worldwide. It is believed that the figures have been estimated taking into account the combined collections of Tamil and Telugu versions released in India as well as in overseas markets.
With the success of "Singam 2", Suriya has once again proved himself as a mass hero. The film's director Hari has broken the myth that sequels do not succeed in Tamil film industry. Now that brand "Singam" has received massive response from film audience, it would be interesting to see if the director-actor duo comes up with a third part of the franchise.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Watch Free IPL 7 Match 2: Delhi Daredevils vs Royal Challengers Bangalore Live Streaming Information
- IPL-Twitter Partnership Set to Enhance On Air, On Ground and Online Experience for Fans
- Katrina Kaif Acting Cold towards Hrithik Roshan on 'Bang Bang' Sets?
- 'Tenaliraman': Will Comedian Vadivelu's Film Strike Gold at Box Office?
- Audi to Hike Car Price from May in India
- LG L65 Dual SIM Mid-Range Smartphone with Android KitKat OS Launched; Price, Specifications Details
- Tata Drops Nano Diesel Plans: Report
- ‘2 States’ Reviews Roundup: Complete Entertainer
- Box Office Collection: ‘Main Tera Hero’ Becomes 4th Highest Grosser of 2014; ‘Queen’ Superhit
- Monte-Carlo Masters Third Round Live Streaming Information: Watch Eight-Time Champion Nadal and Defending Champion Djokovic in Action