'Singam 2' Box Office Collection: Suriya Starrer Performs Exceptionally Well in Overseas Markets
Suriya's "Singam 2" is continuing its dream run at the overseas box office, raking in more than ₹2.3 crore.
In the US markets, "Singam 2" had a grand opening and its first weekend collections were pegged at ₹1.47 crore. After an impressive start, its business dropped drastically on Monday (8 July) and Tuesday (9 July). The film made approximately ₹7 lakh in those two days. The total collections from the US now stand at ₹1.54 crore, which is higher than the collections of other Tamil films released in the last few months.
However, "Singam 2" failed to score well than Kamal Haasan's "Vishwaroopam", which was released in January this year. The espionage thriller earned more than ₹3 crore in just three days of its release. Of all the Tamil films released in the first half of the year, "Singam 2" could be termed as the second biggest hit next to "Vishwaroopam."
UK box office
The Suriya-starrer minted more than ₹50 lakh from the UK markets in its debut weekend. Adding the collections of Monday and Tuesday, the film has made around ₹83 lakh (Note: The number of screens allotted for "Singam 2" varies between US and UK markets).
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"Tamil film #Singam2 - UK: Wknd £ 65,806, Mon £ 12,099, Tue £ 15,491. Total: £ 93,396 [Rs 83.27 lacs]. Excellent!" trade analyst and film critic Taran Adarsh tweeted.
"Tamil film #Singam2 - USA: Mon $ 7,380, Tue $ 7,330. Total: $ 256,637 [Rs 1.54 crores]. Super!"
"Singam 2", which was reportedly made on a budget of ₹45 crore, fetched a whopping ₹26 crore nett in the first three days at the domestic box office.
"#Singam2 (Tam) -July 5 to 7- TN, Karnataka, Kerala, North India, Approximate Net - Fri=Rs 8.15 + Sat= Rs 8.68 +Sun=Rs9.45. Total = Rs26.28Cr," senior film journalist Sreedhar Pillai tweeted.
According to a statement released by the film's producer Prince Pictures, "Singam 2" has grossed ₹50 crore in the first weekend worldwide. It is believed that the figures have been estimated taking into account the combined collections of Tamil and Telugu versions released in India as well as in overseas markets.
With the success of "Singam 2", Suriya has once again proved himself as a mass hero. The film's director Hari has broken the myth that sequels do not succeed in Tamil film industry. Now that brand "Singam" has received massive response from film audience, it would be interesting to see if the director-actor duo comes up with a third part of the franchise.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- India: Teenage Gang Rape Victim Drinks Poison to Protest against Police Inaction
- Mercedes Benz Cars to go Pricier by up to 10% from January
- Ashes 2nd Test, Day 2 Overview: Australia vs England Day 3 Live Streaming Information
- 1st Test, Day Five Preview: New Zealand vs West Indies Live Streaming Information
- Samsung Chromebook with 1.7GHz Dual-Core CPU Now Available in India for ₹26,990
- Miss Earth 2013 Finale: Where to Watch Live Online
- Box Office Collection: 'Ram-leela' Better than New Releases; 'Krrish 3' Completes 5th Week in India
- Samsung Galaxy S5: Metal and Plastic Versions in Development
- Mahindra Recalls 900 Units of Scorpio EX Over Faulty Pressure Regulating Valve
- Micromax Canvas Turbo vs. Karbonn Titanium X: Specification Comparison
‘Krrish 3’ Box Office Collection: Has Hrithik Starrer Really Shattered ‘Chennai Express’ Record in India?