Cannes Film Festival 2013: After Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Anurag Kashyap to Receive French Honour
Filmmaker Anurag Kashyap will be honoured with one of the French government's highest civilian awards for his efforts in promoting the Indian cinema across the world.
The director and screenwriter will be honoured with Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters (Ordre des Arts et des Lettres) by French Culture Minister Aurelie Filippetti on 20 May during the 66th Cannes Film Festival.
The film festival this year is celebrating 100 years of Indian cinema. It will start on 15 May with the screening of Baz Luhrmann's "The Great Gatsby" that features Amitabh Bachchan in a small role.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"Last year, at the Cannes Film Festival, his film Gangs of Wasseypur received a standing ovation as it was premiered at the Director's Fortnight. This film was distributed commercially in France a few months back and was well received by the French public and press," said Francois Richier, ambassador of France to India.
"France has a tradition of supporting artists from all over the world. Bestowing the insignia of Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters on Anurag Kashyap is recognition of his artistic talent and career, and his notable efforts in the promotion of Indian cinema in the world," Richier added.
Kashyap is not the first Indian to be honoured with the French government's highest civilian awards. Last year, former Miss World Aishwarya Rai Bachchan received the Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters (Ordre des Arts et des Lettres) on the occasion of her 39th birthday.
The actress attended the event with her daughter Aaradhya Bachchan, husband Abhishek Bachchan and father-in-law Amitabh Bachchan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Lok Sabha Election 2014: Jaya, Maya, Mamata to Play key Role in New Government Formation
- India Set to Challenge U.S. for Election-spending Record
- Top High-End Tablet PCs Available in the Indian Market
- Venezuela's Chavez Remembered with Pomp and Protests
- Ash Wednesday 2014: Top 5 Unique Facts to Know about Lenten Season
- New Orleans Mardi Gras Carnival 2014: Where to Watch Live, Streaming Options, Major Events, Parade Schedules and More of Fat Tuesday