Canada Urged To Strengthen Cyber Security After Alleged Attack By Chinese Hackers
Cyber security experts have warned Canada to ramp up its cyber security after U.S. internet firm Mandiant allegedly said that Chinese hackers were targeting organizations in Canada and the U.S.
Mandiant Tuesday published a study titled "APT1: Exposing One of China's Cyber Espionage Units" where the firm allegedly traces the U.S. information stolen by a Chinese military unit in Shanghai.
"The Canadian government has been somewhat remiss in its approach to the problem of cyber security," the Financial Post quoted Queen's University professor and internet security expert David Skillicorn as saying.
The internet firm labeled "APT 1" as Advanced Persistent Threat group one and the Mandiant said that the location of three servers linked to the cyber attackers were found in Canada.
"It lines up with what we already suspected to a high degree," the newspaper quoted Martin Rudner, a former research professor at Carleton University, as saying.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"We have repeatedly raised our concerns at the highest levels about cyber theft with senior Chinese officials, including in the military, and we will continue to do so," said Tommy Vietor, the U.S. National Security Council spokesperson
The Chinese military spokesman labelled the U.S. firm's report as baseless.
While speaking at a media briefing, the spokesperson said that China's laws condemned any illegal activities disrupting cyber security.
China in recent years has been labelled as origin of cyber attacks targeting the United States.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Missing Malaysian Jet May Have Disintegrated in Mid-air, Says Source
- Apple Release Round Up: iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 Fall Release plus Top Killer Features to Expect
- Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370: Two New Zealanders Feared Dead in Lost Aircraft
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Wife of Kiwi Passenger Prays for Miracle, Air New Zealand Still Believes in Safety Features of Boeing 777s
- Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini: Samsung Unveils Value Edition with Faster Processor, Already Available in Netherlands
- 8 Oppo Find 7 50 MP Camera Captures Leaked; Aperture f/2.0 Matches Sony Xperia Z2?
- Malaysian Flight MH370: Australia Aid in Search with 2 RAAF Aircraft
- Global Markets Overview – 3/10/14
- China Ready for Free Trade Deal With Australia
- Malaysian Flight 370: Plane Turned Back Toward Kuala Lumpur Before Disappearing; Australia Sends 2 P3C Orions to Aid Search (VIDEOS)