Android Smartphones Vulnerable to Hacking; Google Fails Again
Smartphones running on Android OS are apparently still vulnerable to hacking despite Google's efforts to boost protection, with hacking experts affirming that all devices that run on Android can be attacked.
Experts demonstrated several ways to attack Android smartphones at the Black Hat hacking conference, which kicked off on Wednesday in Las Vegas in the presence of 6,500 corporate and government security technology workers.
Accuvant researcher Charlie Miller demonstrated a method for delivering a malicious code to Android phones using a new Android feature known as near field communications. "I can take over your phone," Reuters quoted her as saying.
Near field communications allow users to share photos with friends, make payments or exchange other data by bringing Android phones within a few centimetres of similarly equipped devices such as another phone or a payment terminal, the news agency reported.
Miller, who spent five years as a global network exploit analyst at the U.S. National Security Agency, where his tasks included breaking into foreign computer systems, said that Android phones can be infected by sticking a small device at inconspicuous places.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"Google is making progress, but the authors of malicious software are moving forward," Sean Schulte of Trustwave's SpiderLabs was quoted saying to Reuters.
"Hopefully Google can solve the problem quickly," said Nicholas Percoco, senior vice president of Trustwave's SpiderLabs. "For now, Android is the Wild West."
The search engine giant had earlier fixed a flaw in Chrome, which is still regarded as not safe to use.
However, Apple iPhones and iPads are free from such threats, as it can push out security updates quickly.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Samsung Galaxy S5: What You Need to Know Before Buying Samsung Flagship
- Samsung Galaxy S5: 10 Value-Added Must-Know Features
- Motorola Budget Smartphone Moto E Specifications Leak; Tipped to Debut in May
- Google Nexus 5 vs. Motorola Moto X: Specifications Comparison
- Micromax's Canvas Doodle 3 Teaser Hits Net [VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 Listed on Company’s E-Store; Price, Availability Details
- Samsung Galaxy S4 GPE, Sony Xperia Z Ultra, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 Android 4.4.3 Update Release Imminent as Dogfooding Process Starts
- New Camera App From Google Brings SLR-like Capabilities to Android Devices
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Early June Quarter Estimates May Alarm Investors
- 15 Useful Apps 'Conducive' to Productivity