Maurice Sendak Quotes: Beloved Author Dead At 83 [VIDEO]
Maurice Sendak, one of the most important and groundbreaking children's book artists of the 20th century and author of "Where the Wild Things Are," "In The Night Kitchen," (click to watch original animated movies) and many other timeless stories, died on Tuesday morning in Danbury, Conn., at the age of 83. His death was due to complications from a recent stroke, longtime editor Michael di Capua told the NY Times.
The Times broke the news at 8:18 am with a message on Twitter. The Times obituary, which was published on the front page of the website, praised Sendak as the author "who wrenched the picture book out of the safe, sanitized world of the nursery and plunged it into the dark, terrifying and hauntingly beautiful recesses of the human psyche."
Earlier this year, Maurice Sendak appeared on a special segment of the Colbert Report, where he said, "I don't write for children. I write, and somebody says, 'That's for children'... I like them as few and far between as I do adults."
Here are some of the best and most memorable quotes from Maurice Sendak, in honor of an artist and author who's work touched us all:
"There must be more to life than having everything."
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
"You cannot write for children. They're much too complicated. You can only write books that are of interest to them."
"I cry a lot because I miss people. They die and I can't stop them. They leave me and I love them more."
"I said anything I wanted because I don't believe in children, I don't believe in childhood. I don't believe that there's a demarcation. 'Oh you mustn't tell them that. You mustn't tell them that.' You tell them anything you want. Just tell them if it's true. If it's true you tell them."
"There is no such thing as fantasy unrelated to reality"
From Where The Wild Things Are:
"And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"
"Please don't go. We'll eat you up. We love you so."
"And Max, the king of all wild things, was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all."
"And the wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws."
"Then from far away across the world he smelled good things to eat, so he gave up being king of the wild things."
"Let the wild rumpus start!"
From In The Night Kitchen:
"Milk in the batter, milk in the batter. Stir it. Scrape it. Bake it!"
"Mickey poked through and said, 'I'm not the milk and the milk's not be. I'm Mickey!'"
From Nutshell Library:
"Sipping once, sipping twice, sipping chicken soup with rice." -Chicken Soup With Rice [VIDEO]
"A, alligators all around. B, bursting balloons." - Alligators All Around [VIDEO]
Did we forget your favorite Maurice Sendak quote? Leave it in the comments and we'll add it to the article.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- ‘Millionaire Matchmaker’ Season 7 Episode 12: Why Couldn’t Patti Stanger find Emil Chynn's Match?
- Ukraine Standoff Intensifies, Russia says Sanctions will 'Boomerang'
- Kejriwal takes Aim at Modi's Economic Model
- Syria War: Not Revolution But Muslims Killing Innocent, says Former ISIS Terror Enlistee [VIDEO]
- HTC ‘All New One’ aka M8 Smartphone Snapshot Leaked; Dual-Camera Revealed
- 'The Young And The Restless' Casting Spoilers Update: Seattle Seahawks' Michael Robinson to Do Guest Appearance
- Twitter Bans Porn on Video Sharing App Vine: Top 5 Examples of ‘Sexually Explicit’ Contents that will not be Allowed
- Bindi Irwin Slammed For Partnering With SeaWorld
- Lamar Odom & Khloe Kardashian Divorce Update: Khloe's Topless Vine Video to Make Lamar Jealous?
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 3/7/14