‘God Of War 4: Ascension,’ Release To Feature Multiplayer, New Info From Former Director Says This Idea Came Years Ago
'God of War: Ascension," set to be the fourth installment and a prequel to the original, was recently revealed at the end of April. The game will take place before protagonist Kratos became the Ghost of Sparta, and the game's official trailer gives a vague yet enticing glimpse for fans. But one of the most anticipated features to come with the new title, set for a spring 2013 launch, is the integration of multiplayer gameplay.
Although this seems to be a fresh concept, original 'God of War' director David Jaffe told IGN that the idea was developed a few years ago. However, this view was slightly different. Instead of being a competitive multiplayer brawler, it was more plot-focused.
"It was more of the story," he said to the gaming publication. "Going through the adventure-either a separate adventure or the same adventure with sort of a different piece of fiction to explain it with co-op."
Players are sure to be pondering the mechanics of the upcoming multiplayer in "Ascension," and Jaffe revealed why the co-op story mode option wouldn't pan out. With Kratos being the primary character, it is unclear who Player 2 would be controlling in a plot-based campaign multiplayer. Jaffe referred to the concept as a "half-baked" idea, and the second player would be controlling a partner that Kratos didn't need. The game would've emphasized that the Ghost of Sparta was a one-man army.
"There were moments where I was being a total idiot, and it was a red Sonja version of Kratos," Jaffe said to IGN. "It was kind of like a hyper-violent, screwball comedy where they hated each other but they had to work together-which is really stupid."
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
At the end of April game director Todd Papy unveiled some previews of the "God of War" multiplayer during a Sony Santa Monica press event. The images revealed that the multiplayer combat will be just as dramatic as single player kills in previous games, including explicit beheadings and other executions displayed in slow motion.
Gamers will not play as Kratos in this mode, but will instead level up their characters and align them with a particular Greek god of their choosing. Up to eight characters will be able to participate, with two teams competing against each other before defeating a larger boss for total victory, according to USA Today.
But some fans still expressed concern over the multiplayer mode that will debut in "Ascension," saying that the company is attempting to force multiplayer into what has developed as a single-player franchise. Jaffe told IGN he understands these concerns but doesn't agree.
"I think that anger is well deserved for people who have felt that way for certain games, but I think so far-you know what I was tweeting about was-Sony Santa Monica, and certainly that team, really hasn't done anything ever to let people down as game developers," he said to the website. "If it turns out to be the case that the single player is watered down because of it, then I think they have some justification. But I don't see any evidence of that, and I don't see evidence of that based on the team they are."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Sony Xperia Z1 Compact vs. Xperia Z1 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S5 vs. iPhone 5 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Criminal Minds Season 9 Episode 17 Recap: A Scarier Kind of Doctor the Syndicate Version of Ocean’s 11
- 'Annie' Movie 2014 Official Trailer Released: Everything to Know About the Musical Movie [WATCH VIDEO]
- Sony Xperia Z2 U.K. Preorders Available, April 11 Arrival Date; Lifelog and SmartBand Coming in March
- Minecraft Xbox 360 City Texture Pack and PS3 Skin Packs Coming, New Minecraft Snapshot 14w10a Released
- Sony Xperia Z2 Apps And Features Now Portable To Other Sony Xperia Running Android Jelly Bean
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Neo vs. Galaxy Note 3 vs. Note 2 Specifications Comparison
- Sony Launches Music Centric Dual-Core Smartphone Xperia E1 in India; Price Specifications Details
- Samsung Galaxy Grand Neo vs. Galaxy Grand 2 Specifications Comparison