When Is Mother's Day 2012? Find Out Plus Origins And 10 Facts About The Holiday
When is Mothers' Day 2012? Your mother will be upset if you don't know the date and forget to get her a present.
Mother's Day falls on May 13, and for future reference, the holiday is always celebrated on the second Sunday in May.
Mother's Day began about 150 years ago, when Appalachian housewife Anna Jarvis organized a day to raise awareness of poor health conditions in her community, which she believed is best advocated by mothers, according to 123Holiday.net.
After Jarvis died, her daughter, also named Anna, started a campaign to pay tribute to her mom's work.
"Legend has it that young Anna remembered a Sunday school lesson that her mother gave in which she said, "I hope and pray that someone, sometime, will found a memorial mother's day. There are many days for men, but none for mothers," the younger Anna Jarvis reportedly said.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Anna Jarvis lobbied Presidents William Howard Taft and Theodore Roosevelt as well as businessman John Wanamaker to create a special day for mothers.
She organized Mother's Day observances in Grafton, W. Va., and Philadelphia on May 10, 1908, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a bill from congress recognizing Mother's Day as a national holiday.
In the early days of the holiday, Mother's Day was commemorated by going to church and sending cards, gifts and flowers to their mothers.
The gift giving and other customers reportedly enraged Anna Davis and she expressed regret for thinking of the holiday.
Mother's Day Facts (from U.S. Census Bureau)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Modi is Power Hungry, Says Sonia Gandhi; Manmohan Singh Casts Vote in Assam
- YSR Congress Leader Shobha Nagireddy Passes Away
- Lok Sabha Polls 2014: Ajith, Vijay, Rajinikanth, Kamal Haasan and other Stars Cast their Votes
- Kashmiris Wary as Modi Challenges for Power
- Nexus 6 Release Date: Nexus 5 Successor to be Cheaper than Moto G?
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Kejriwal Files Nomination from Varanasi, Accuses Congress, BJP of Spending Black Money on Campaigning
- New York Police Department’s #myNYPD Campaign Backfires: Top 10 Outrageous Tweets, Photos Posted by Disgruntled Public
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Modi Says Money Stashed Abroad to be Spent on Poor, to File 2nd Nomination from Varanasi Tomorrow
- Modi Slams anti-Muslim Remarks, Ally Defiant
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: PM Post Not Ancestral Right of Nehru-Gandhi Family: Pawan Kalyan