When Is Mother's Day 2012? Find Out Plus Origins And 10 Facts About The Holiday
When is Mothers' Day 2012? Your mother will be upset if you don't know the date and forget to get her a present.
Mother's Day falls on May 13, and for future reference, the holiday is always celebrated on the second Sunday in May.
Mother's Day began about 150 years ago, when Appalachian housewife Anna Jarvis organized a day to raise awareness of poor health conditions in her community, which she believed is best advocated by mothers, according to 123Holiday.net.
After Jarvis died, her daughter, also named Anna, started a campaign to pay tribute to her mom's work.
"Legend has it that young Anna remembered a Sunday school lesson that her mother gave in which she said, "I hope and pray that someone, sometime, will found a memorial mother's day. There are many days for men, but none for mothers," the younger Anna Jarvis reportedly said.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Anna Jarvis lobbied Presidents William Howard Taft and Theodore Roosevelt as well as businessman John Wanamaker to create a special day for mothers.
She organized Mother's Day observances in Grafton, W. Va., and Philadelphia on May 10, 1908, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a bill from congress recognizing Mother's Day as a national holiday.
In the early days of the holiday, Mother's Day was commemorated by going to church and sending cards, gifts and flowers to their mothers.
The gift giving and other customers reportedly enraged Anna Davis and she expressed regret for thinking of the holiday.
Mother's Day Facts (from U.S. Census Bureau)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- HTC Desire 210, 816 Smartphones Launched in India; Price, Availability Details
- Sony Xperia M2 Dual-SIM Android Smartphone Launched in India; Price, Specification Details
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Robert Vadra Will be Sent to Jail, Reiterates Uma Bharti
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Congress Hopes to Win 120 Seats to Form Next Governmet with Support of Third Front?
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: BJP, TDP Resolve Tussle over Seat Sharing, Poll Tie-Up Intact
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Tech-Aided Mechanism Will be Set up to Prevent Corruption if BJP is Voted to Power: Modi
- India Passes Halfway Mark in Election with BJP Gaining Strength
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: BJP-TDP Tie-up Faces Trouble over Seat Allotment, Pawan Kalyan Tops Google Celebrities' List
- Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Sonia Gandhi Claims Full Credit for Telangana, Slams TRS, TDP, YSRCP
- Chiranjeevi, Pawan Kalyan, Nagma among Most Searched Celebrity Candidates