The Best Of Coachella 2012: A Round-Up Of Fashions, Celebs, Performances And Parties [PHOTOS, VIDEOS]
The 2012 Coachella Music and Arts Festival has come and gone; leaving in its wake a field trampled by revelers who sought nothing but a good time. This year's Coachella festival brought out the big guns -- from fabulous fashions and superstar celebrities to rocking performances and all-night parties, making this year's Coachella is worthy of a round-up.
Coachella might be based on music but it thrives on fashion. Attendees were certainly not shy with their chosen apparel, decking out in their best desert-concert garb. This year, some trends stood out above the rest.
- Denim Cutoffs: Denim cutoffs are perfect for the California heat. Fergie, Rihanna and Vanessa Hudgens were each spotted wearing the look around the Coachella grounds during weekend one. Free People's "Bright and Bold" cutoff shorts (Free People, $168) are practically made for Coachella, with a frayed hem, seven-pocket design and bold hues like fuchsia and yellow.
- Crop Tops: Showing some skin is encouraged at Coachella. Crop tops or bralettes show off just enough. One of the most popular tops for spring, crop tops made a major appearance during the first weekend of Coachella. Crop tops came in all shapes and colors - bold botanicals, gold studs, tie-dye and more. Check out Top Shop to try this look yourself. Crop tops are kept sophisticated with a high-waisted, tulip skirt, such as the emerald green version from See by Chloe (farfetch.com, $192).
- Wide-Brim Hats: Keeping cool is a requirement in the desert sun. Wide-brim hats are perfect for shade and style. To channel your inner glamazon, try a floppy wide-brim hat like Lanvin's (Kirna Zabete, $1,725). For a more casual look, go for a straw version like Theory's Raffica Crochet Wide Brim Hat (Theory, $90).
- Round Frame Sunglasses: Round frame sunglasses, otherwise known as Lennon frames, became popular in the 60s. The trend recently made a comeback with celebrity fans like the Olsen twins, Miley Cyrus, Khloe Kardashian and Nicole Richie. If you are willing to splurge, The Row's leather-wrapped round frame sunglasses are a real treat (Barneys New York, $445). If you want to save, the Police Round Sunglasses are just as cool (endless.com, $97.03).
- Neon: Let's be real, at night Coachella turns into one big dance party; and what is a dance party without some neon? Concert-goers dared to go bright with neon clothes and accessories. One of our favorite looks was a bright yellow Hermes Clic H enamel bracelet (Hermes, $610) stacked against colorful friendship bracelets.
- Maxi Skirts: Nothing says summer like a breezy maxi skirt. This chic bottom can be made casual during the day with some gladiator sandals or amped up for nighttime with some chunky platform heels. Coachella ladies rocked maxis in all prints and fabrics. We loved the striped ones, like this zig-zag maxi from Express (express.com, $49.90).
Coachella seems to gain more and more Hollywood-cred with each passing year. The 2012 Coachella festival had no shortage of celebrity attendees. Some of the biggest names left some of the biggest marks in the California desert.
Rihanna performed during Weekend One of Coachella, jumping into the crowd to give her bestie, Katy Perry, some love and affection. Lauren Conrad hung out poolside with Lea Michele while Rosie Huntington-Whiteley danced with a friend on the field. Dita Von Teese was photographed sitting pretty on a blanket in the grass and Kelly Osbourne was seen drinking a beer in the VIP section.
Couples came out for Coachella, as well. Vanessa Hudgens was spotted with boyfriend Austin Butler enjoying some fun in the sun. That steamy "Vampire Diaries" couple, Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder, was not afraid to show some PDA for the cameras; while that other famous vampire couple, Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, kept a low profile. Katy Perry was seen canoodling with her rumored new boyfriend, Florence + the Machine guitarist, Robert Ackroyd.
Parties were plentiful at Coachella 2012. The Lacoste L!ve Pool Party probably boasted the most burgeoning guest list of celebrity attendees. Lea Michele partied with both new boyfriend Cory Monteith, Teresa Palmer and "The Hills" star Lauren Conrad. Katy Perry made an appearance in a sheer maxi dress. Also at the Lacoste L!ve Pool Party were fashion designer Alexander Wang and singer Florence Welch.
Mulberry threw another monster party during Weekend One of Coachella 2012. The British luxury brand's poolside party and barbecue at the Parker Palm Springs attracted the likes of Emma Watson, Kate Bosworth, Lily Collins and "Mad Men" costume designer Janie Bryant. The fabulous Mulberry event was themed around monsters, reported the L.A. Times. Party-goers were greeted by enormous plastic monster paws at the entrance; inflatable creatures floated in the pool; and chairs were covered with beach towels printed with an adorable hairy monster creature.
Skyy Vodka and Spin magazine teamed up for one of the weekend's best offerings - a pool party at the Renaissance Esmeralda Indian Wells Resort & Spa. L.A. Times reporter Jessica Gelt hit up this shindig and reported on the flowing drinks, aquatic activities and delicious extras. There was even a gifting lounge by Havaianas.
The Hennessy V.S. Presents DETAILS @ Midnight party was a hit. Katy Perry strolled in at 2 a.m. and kept the party going well past 4 a.m., according to Perez Hilton.
Of course the fabulousness of Coachella is great fun, but the California festival is ultimately about the music. The 2012 Coachella Music and Arts Festival boasted some stellar acts who cranked out some jaw-dropping (and history-making) performances. Here are videos of the best performances from this year's Coachella:
Tupac and Snoop Dogg
AVICII "Levels" versus Gotye "Somebody That I Used To Know"
Florence + the Machine
Rihanna and Calvin Harris